bosch exxcel 1200 express won't spin (but does all else)

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
A few days ago, my 8 year old Bosch Exxcel 1200 express packed up - the drum stopped rotating and it wouldn't start any wash or spin cycles. Some other posts on this site suggested the brushes could be the problem. I took them out, and sure enough they were worn down to about 5mm length and one of them looked like it was no longer making contact - it looked rough rather than smooth. I replaced them by following a youtube guide that I found here and after that the drum started turning again.

Unfortunately, it will no longer do a full spin cycle - it spins a couple of times, sometimes getting up to full speed if empty then stops. It repeats this a few times until the timer gets to 8 minutes, then it drops all the way down to 1 and doesn't try spinning any further. The same behaviour happens whether it has a load or is empty. As a result, clothes are extremely wet after a wash. Everything else seems to work fine. I checked the drain panel at the bottom right of the machine and found an old 5p coin and a bit of sludge in there, but removing this didn't seem to make any difference.

Some googling suggested the machine might think the load is unbalanced and so is spinning a bit in an attempt to balance it, then failing and giving up. We've never had problems with unbalanced loads before, so my guess is that I've managed to break something while fixing the brushes.

When I replaced the brushes I had to take the belt off and remove the motor by turning the machine on its side (the access is very limited otherwise and I couldn't really reach the brushes properly).

Is there an obvious newbie mistake I could have made here when putting everything back together?

any advice very welcome...

Sponsored Links
That was exactly the problem - one of the brushes was the wrong way around. I put it back in the correct way around and everything now works fine. For future reference; only take out one brush at a time, hopefully that will make it easier to put the replacements in the right way round! (it wasn't obvious to me which was the correct way, though once they have worn a bit, it is very obvious whether or not they are in correctly)

I have a Bosch 1100 exxcel which has a similar problem the machine washes but needs spinning about 3 times, could this be the bushes? also when it stops the light(where it tells you how many minutes are left) goes out and I have to switch it off and then back on again, what do you think this could be? from your post it sounds like the bushes but whats making the light go out?
Thanks

Sponsored Links
I don't know to be honest - I'm not a professional by any stretch of the imagination, more an amateur who looked some stuff up on google...

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back