Bosch Exxcel Error Code 21

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I have a bosch Exxcel SMS50E dishwasher showing an error code 21.

When I start the cycle it fills with water and then it sounds like it is trying to start the circulation pump it sounds like it trys to start the pump twice. Then error 21 appears. I can restart the cycle and reset the cycle to drain the machine.

I have removed the side panels and kick plate, I can see the circulation pump but I can not figure out how to remove the pump due to very little space.

I have a feeling that the pump is blocked in someway, as it sounds like it is trying to start, it may have failed and not able to start.

My question is, is there a way to get to the impeller of the circulation pump, to see if it is spinning, without removing the pump, I can see there is a removable gray plastic cover in side the machine, but I am not able to feel the impeller with my fingers. Or can I remove the pump with out further stripping the machine down if I need to strip the machine further what is the next step.

All the best.

Peter

Sponsored Links
Hi Peter
Firstly check there is sufficient water in the tub when it finishes filling at the start of the programme after the initial drain. Just open the door shortly after the pump kicks in.

Hi this was one of the first things I thought, I even filled it manually but it did the same. Do you know how it senses the water level. I could check the sensor.

Peter

Either by electronic timer or sensor behind left panel, just follow the inlet hose to the inlet valve, its between here and the plastic tube assembly with a float.
But if theres enough water in the tub thats not the issue.

If you can see the circulation pump from right side panel does it look like its struggling to turn? You should be able to see the rear end of the motor rotor.

Sponsored Links
P.s. to remove the circulation pump there is no alternative other than to strip the machine down completely. 1-2 hours taking your time and noting where and how things fit, last one I did took 30-45 mins to strip down to the base pan but then I'm no expert and take my time. Fascia panel, door front, door, kick plate panel and under shield, internal fittings(spray arms, salt cap and base plate, etc.).

Thanks, after some faffing about I managed to get the baseplate off and remove the circulation pump. I removed the cover from the pump and found a large piece of metal in it, from one of our spoons. I have not reassembled the unit yet, but the pump now spins free so i am hoping that it will fire up when it all goes back together.

It is dinner time at the moment so I have been kicked out of the kitchen until later on.

Peter

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back