Help diagnosing Bosch Washing Machine problem

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello

I have a bosch washing machine that will not spin. I put it on just a spin cycle and the pump works, I can hear the pressure sensor (rheostat?) click three times about 30 seconds apart but the spin never starts and after 2 minutes the time Jumps from 11 mins to 1 min and stops.

Yesterday it did sound like the pump was making a lot of vibration/hum but I have checked the filter, watched the impeller go round fine and removed and reseated the pump at which point the loud noise has gone back to normal but still no spin. I have also squeezed the pipes coming from the drum (the sump?) and checked these are not obviously blocked.

So I have three guesses

1) The is something wrong still with the pump even though it appears to turn fine and the impeller is clearly spinning

2) The pressure sensor is bust, or the tube to it blocked. I remove the tube and blow down it and it seems clear and the pressure sensor at least appears to click. I guess the electronics themselves could be bust

3) The brushes on the motor have gone so its trying to spin but it never starts. How likely is this, would I have noticed it getting worse before stopping working completely? How can I easily check this do I have to remove the motor to check?

Im trying to avoid an expensive repair bill so any advice from those with a lot more experience about the most likely problem would be much appreciated.

Thanks
Brian

Sponsored Links
Whenever my 10yr old machine stops spinning, I always check the motor brushes and tend to find they have been worn down to their limits. The motor can rotate the drum during a wash cycle, but when switching to 'spin' the motor draws more current and this is when worn brushes can be the most likely cause.

I don't know how you access your model's brushes, but I access mine from underneath and is a relatively simple change.

The brushes in Bosch motors are often built in to the end casing & the motor needs to be split to access them.

The brushes in Bosch motors are often built in to the end casing & the motor needs to be split to access them.

Don't know what you mean by "the motor needs to be split" but if you mean removed then that is not necessary.

Generally one brush is easily accessible on Bosch motors, the second is more tricky to access but can be changed without removing the motor if you know what you're doing - I use a Dentist type mirror and maglite so I can see the location. All that's needed apart from that is nimble fingers.

As regards the OP, I agree that it's worth checking that the brushes are' not excessively worn and replacing if required.

Sponsored Links
A lot depends on which model this is for example the latest Loggixx models have brushless motors, they use the more expensive perm magnets. If its a Loggixx model, does the drum turn at all, even very slowly when you are expecting the spin ? These models will do this if they have a very uneven load, one heavy item for example. They turn slowly to try and balance the load but if that doesn't happen, they keep trying until the cycle just runs out. Loggixx supposedly 'clever logic' but not in this case.

Thanks for the advice everyone I bought some new brushes and fitted them and it span again . After a few washes the brushes had bedded in and the initial high pitched new brush noise reduced to normal which was a relief.

Thanks

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back