Hoover Vision HD Went BANG with error E03, LCD Flickering???

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hoover Vision HD - VHD 9143 ZD Washing Machine

What Happened

I put in a big heavy carpet rug that probably shouldn’t have gone in, but it fit in so I did.

After pulling it out, it was a complete mess and I binned it. I also noticed that it was covered in a lacquer kind of gluey substance that was also present on the inside of the main glass door.

I did 2-3 empty full temperature washes hoping it would pass, in the end I scrubbed it off with a sponge because it stayed.
Then on the next wash of normal cloths, it seemed fine, but the cloths were covered in this lacquer type gluey stuff. So I put the same load back in a further 2-3 times but still it had this gluey stuff on it.

Then a final time, I noticed that it filled up with water, then stopped with an error message and would not continue the wash. From memory, I think it was E03.

After turning off and back on again, and telling it to begin a new cycle, I would successfully drain out the water, and start again. I would leave it, and come back only to find that the same has happened again.

So this time I stayed with it, and shortly after beginning a cycle, I looked like it was struggling to turn the drum! Then to my surprise BANG! (And the dirt is gone! or not in this case!) There was a loud electrically sounding pop/bang from within, and the LCD started flickering the display.
I immediately turned off at the switch, and gave it a few moments.

After 20-30 mins, I tried to turn on again, but it just loops the flickering LCD...

I’ve taken the back off, and the top lid, and as an absolute novice, nothing looks out of the ordinary. In face it all looks brand new inside...

I’d really like to fix this myself with your support because as we all know money is tight and were all feeling it, so please someone help me out.

Thanks

Sponsored Links
There was a loud electrically sounding pop/bang from within, and the LCD started flickering the display.
I'd think you will be able to find a visibly damaged electrical component that took the brunt of the abuse.
Hopefully it's the only damaged component and replacing it will put you back in business.

There was a loud electrically sounding pop/bang from within, and the LCD started flickering the display.
I'd think you will be able to find a visibly damaged electrical component that took the brunt of the abuse.
Hopefully it's the only damaged component and replacing it will put you back in business.

After pulling it apart, I can see that the black large chip with the heatsink, on the controller board has two blow holes on it, also the little 6a fuse had popped...I'm upset because the controller boards seem to range £200-300!!!

Any advice on how I can get it going, it's a nice washing machine otherwise...

That looks like a pretty terminal failure. The question is what caused it to pop and will it happen again if you simply replace the board (expensive way to find out if you just put a new board in!).

Sponsored Links
Post the numbers off the heat-sinked MOSFET/TRIAC. This part may cost 10x less than the controller but you may need a soldering station and solder wick to remove it.

How much for a new machine? How old is the current one? If you are going to gamble this much you should know how the dice are loaded. :D

Another option is that you go to almost any electronic repair shop and have them bid on replacing the damaged component with one of equal or better specifications.

If a new board is £250 and I give you 3 out of 4 odds (Probability = 0.75) that this will work then the max bid £X for this repair should be 0.75 x £250 = £188.
For a really pessimistic P = 0.5 the max bid would be £125.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back