Hotpoint Aquarius WD420 not drying

J

jg321

Hi all,

First post here, and of course, it's a problem! We've a Hotpoint Aquarius WD420 and the dryer doesn't seem to get hot. Even after 1 hour, the clothes are just as wet as before.

I found a few posts suggesting a few things - so have tried the following:

-Element has a resistance of around 40 ohms.
-Thermal trip has continuity - doesn't seem to have tripped.
-There is 240 volts going to the element.
-Fan appears to be working.
-Vent does not appear blocked.

The component that I believe to be the thermal trip has two spade terminals, and is wired in series with the element. There is another component; which has a two contact "push on" type connector; is this the stat? This is open circuit.

I'm guessing this should not be open circuit, and is hosed. If I'm right, could someone link to a replacement please? All I seem to be able to get is the thermal trip, which from the pictures looks like the same as what I believe is the stat - i.e. a silver button but with spades where the stat has a "push on" connector.

The only other curious thing is that it looks as though this thing has been repaired before. There are two of those black wires which go to the stat. One is routed neatly with the other wires and is not in use, and the other is nor routed neatly, and it's this one that goes to the stat. There are also two purple wires with spades that go nowhere, and don't seem to have anywhere to go! The picture may make more sense!

Hopefully someone can help! I've tried to search but not found anything that matches my symptoms; they all seem to be the thermal fuse!

Thanks in advance!

JG

Sponsored Links
In the centre of that stat is a blob of paint , stick a pin in the blob and you will hear a click. That is the one shot stat. But if it trips out again you have a blockage somewhere.

In the centre of that stat is a blob of paint , stick a pin in the blob and you will hear a click. That is the one shot stat. But if it trips out again you have a blockage somewhere.

Thanks for the reply. The one that is open circuit is the one with the connector on the back and a silver "button" look on the front. There's no sign of the blob.

I know of the blob you're referring to; the one on what I was referring to as the thermal trip. This tests OK on a multimeter.

You mean the one with 2 black wires on it. Size of a ten p. that's a thermistor , that will give error f13.

Sponsored Links
You mean the one with 2 black wires on it. Size of a ten p. that's a thermistor , that will give error f13.

Yeah that's the one. Not getting any errors, just no heat! Should that be open circuit when connected to a multimeter? Will try and dis it, see if the behaviour is the same.

Yeah that's the one. Not getting any errors, just no heat! Should that be open circuit when connected to a multimeter? Will try and dis it, see if the behaviour is the same.

Yep, when that is disconnected I get error F13 - power light going mental and lights 1, 2 and 4. Reconnected and all is fine.

So, the element is fine (tested 40 ohms), thermister is fine, thermal trip thing is fine. Putting it on for an hour again just to be sure.

And I thought this was going to be simple!

Thanks for the help so far.

Putting it on for an hour again just to be sure.

Just done a wash and had the dryer on for 1 hour. Clothes came out cold and wet. No heat in the drum.

Any ideas anyone please?

Jon

If you got power to the element. And the fan runs and the one shot is ok then you have the impossible. I would check the heater and the one shot again but disconnect the wires to each one. Do a continuity check on heater and one shot.

In case anyone else stumbles across this, I've come to the following conclusion. After double checking the one shot, the stat and the element, and hearing the fan going. I've got a feeling it's actually working as designed, it's just really really rubbish. After two hours the clothes were warm and a little dryer than if they'd have not been dried. I'll try it with a really light load just to be sure, but I think this sums it up!

when its run put hand on to of heater cover if can feel heat coming of it then you may have a blockage check the filter where comes from heater to enters tub

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back