Hotpoint wd420 issue- no heat for washing/drying

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

A couple of weeks ago my washing machine triggered the electric trip switch in my house, I thought at the time that I could smell something odd (faint burnt smell) but couldn't 100% put it down to this.

Anyhow the next morning when I came to take out my washing (after dry cycle) it was though the dry cycle hadn't been on. I put the washing through the dry cycle twice more and each time the clothes were no dryer and there was no heat coming out when I opened the door.

I then did a load of washing and felt the front of the door, again couldn't feel any heat.

So it looks like, through my novice eyes, that my machine isn't heating either water or air.

Hotpoint want £110 to come out to look at it and repair, given that it may be a small job according to my local repairman (£20-30), I thought it may be best to see if I could save some pennies.

Any help greatly appreciated.
:D

Sponsored Links
Yep heater gone in heater box. Just check it with a meter first. Cost of new heater about 20 quid.

Thanks for the reply.

But where do i find the heater box? Ive attached some pictures of my washing machine, could you point out where it is on them?

Also pic 8 are the parts that the local shop said I should find and take back to them, they said they are some sort of trip switch that burn out before any heating motors/elements get damaged. Where would I find these too? and does it make sense what they are saying?

Thanks again any help is greatly appreciated.

Sponsored Links
Pic 2 Is the heater box. The orange cover that goes over the pink wire is a cut out , test it with a continuity tester at both ends. The 2 brass nuts one is connected to the cut out that's the heater. Again test that for continuity. The parts in pic 8 are not for that machine. Take them back. The wash heater is shown in the other pic at the bottom test that with a meter should be 30 ohms. You won't feel heat on the door bowl cos its got a plastic shield on it and a glass bowl behind it. To replace the heater on the heater box undo the 6 torx bolts t30. Then split the box 6 torx again and undo the 2 brass nuts it's a curly wurly heater.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back