Hotpoint WMA40 drum leaking

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello, my elderly mum's WMA40 has a leak behind the bottom weights at the front of the drum. I removed the weights to have a look, and a bonded seam is leaking. My question is: if I replace the front half of the drum, is there a gasket or sealant required between the 2 halves that I'll have to buy?
I have access to a donor machine so wont have to buy a brand-new part, but will be doing the job on a Sunday so don't want to be caught out for want of a part. Many thanks in advance!
Nicam49
pic is shown in the link below (I hope)
//www.diynot.com/network/nicam49/albums/

Sponsored Links
It's poss the door seal with sludge on it that's what's causing it. The only gasket is between the two drum halfs. Clean the door seal up and remove any scum round the outside and the tighten the door seal band up.

It's poss the door seal with sludge on it that's what's causing it. The only gasket is between the two drum halfs. Clean the door seal up and remove any scum round the outside and the tighten the door seal band up.
Thanks for your swift reply :) No, it's def. the seam...I thought I'd uploaded a pic but it hasn't appeared. The door seal is a bit manky, but you only have to pour a couple of pints of water in the drum to see the leak. So there IS a gasket between the 2 halves? Will I need to replace it if I fit a 2nd-hand part? Many thanks once again!

Yes there is a gasket. Can u see the split in the tub. Put food dye in a couple of pints and then it will show leak ,you could put silicone sealant on the leak.

Sponsored Links
Yes there is a gasket. Can u see the split in the tub. Put food dye in a couple of pints and then it will show leak ,you could put silicone sealant on the leak.
Thanks Rocks1!
I've put a link to the pic at the bottom of the original post..it;s leaking out of that black line above the numbers 8 & 9.
Will I get away with using old gasket, ie is it rubber? or should I buy a new one. Don't have any luck with silicon sealant, but many thanks for the suggestion.

Oh dear. Is it noisy , cos that's the inner drum marking it in a perfect circle.

Oh dear. Is it noisy , cos that's the inner drum marking it in a perfect circle.
Erm,,,well my Mum did mention it was noisy...but it seemed ok when I test filled and emptied it- could that be the reason it split...not just age? :(

Yes. The inner drum is cutting the outer. Due to broken drum surport or bearings shot. It's the perfect circle all round the drum.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back