Miele W838 washing machine on/off switch not latching

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
the on/off switch is no longer latching. :(

Took it out and removed its pcb to look inside and was surprised to find no mechanical components that would lock it. How does it work?

Sponsored Links
I meant that I was surprised to find that there is nothing that holds the on switch in place once you've pressed it. I've pressed it many times, but now I can't remember whether it stays in or whether it just makes contact and then returns to it's initial position.

It doesn't latch in.
You may notice a slight click when it is pressed.

Sponsored Links
So how does the machine stay on once you press and releasethe switch? Does it operate a rely? Or is it an electronic sort of latch on one of the pcbs?

In which case, how can I be sure that replacing the switch at almost £100 will solve the problem?

Traced the circuit and it looks like the switch operates relay 1K1 which is a Scrackk RT114012. Looked on RS and found two references one with a CO and the other NO contact. Any idea which one I need?

Is this the same machine you had trouble with an unbalanced load/bad NTC? If it is does the rinse light flash now?

Yes same machine: and since then the dishwasher that was on top of it has played up too!

I don't hold the on switch in long enough for the rinse light to come on. BTW cf the long "flashing rinse light thread" I checked the 6.3A fuse on the circuit board and it's OK.

I decided to test the relay on the board and it seemed to work OK. 9v across the coil and it clicked and the output contacts showed continuity. Take the 9v away and it went back to it's initial state. So that made me realise that it wasn't a latching relay, so there must be some latch on the switch.

Out it came again and I noticed a small yellow bit of plastic on the side which slide out. Turned it over to find that it had a series of grooves. There is also a pin protruding from the switch that must run in the grooves.

What I think happens is that as you press in the switch, the pin slides in the grooves and rests in a notch, holding the contacts of the switch in place with the contacts on the pcb. When you press again, the pin slides out of the notch and the contacts are free to return to the off position.

However, this is only a guess, as there doesn't appear to be a notch where I expect one to be. I think it may have been worn smooth, so I've fashioned a replacement out of some aluminium foil and Araldited it in place. I'm writing this while it sets, so will report back later.

The only relay that gives problems on this pcb is 6k1 (the motor reversing relay), especially with a heavy/unbalanced load. One set of relay contacts gets welded shut & it pops a 6.3A radial fuse. But that has nothing to do with your issue. I still believe you need to change out the switch module...even if it is expensive.

You're right that I need a new switch: the pin that engages with the grooves in the yellow bit of plastic is so short that it isn't held by the Araldited notch.

So I've ordered a second hand switch. In the meantime I've taken the yellow and white knobs off and refitted the spring for the on/off switch so that it exerts less return force. That way I can hold the switch in with some duct tape whilst the secondhand switch makes its way over to me.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back