Miele W842 Washing Machine Rinses Light Flashing

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
During a wash programme I heard a loud bang from the machine and stopped it immediately to investigate. Nothing was visible, but I thought the drive belt might have broken.

Upon restarting, the rinses light began to flash and the anti crease/finish light lit up.

Checked the manual - explanation: Fault - call engineer.

I did this and Miele call-out currently £111 which includes up to 1 hour labour but not parts.
This machine is 13 years old, so I was unsure about getting an economic repair. If I decided not to proceed, the cost would be £72.

We checked and the drive belt was intact & the motor brushes looked ok.
I searched the internet without much success until I found the amazing DIYnot thread on the Miele W828 which details the same fault and shows that is common to a large number of the Miele models which share lots of common components.

Like many others, we found the fault in relay 6K1 and the little TR5 fuse. I ordered the bits from RS Components; had to buy 10 fuses, but at 49p, no matter. The relay was £2.81. I pushed the boat out and got 2.
(Fot the uninitiated, a send-away repair to the board is also available on eBay for about £40).

Today (hurrah) my machine is working again, on light duties, until we replace the shock absorbers as recommended in the W828 post.

Many MANY thanks to the contributors of that thread who have saved me £100's.
My machine is in superb condition, it would have been a crime to bin it.

When searching for Miele washer faults, don't be too hung up on the model number. Search on the general fault & symptoms instead.
I hope this helps someone else.

Sponsored Links
Perhaps you should also consider checking the motor brushes for excessive wear. They may well be nearing the end of their life.
Congratulations on a job well done in fixing the EL200 pcb :cool:

Hey Zipper.
Point taken.
I am planning to order motor brushes, drive belt (which has created a lot of black dust inside the machine and is the original) and shock absorbers today.
That lot ought to be a good refurbishment package and cost just over the Miele £72 uneconomic repair charge. javascript:emoticon(':)')
Might as well do them while we still remember how to take apart the machine and put it back together.

The only other fault I have is the door interlock. The door release button works in summer, but not in winter. Clearly something is contracting in the cold weather...
Any ideas?

:)

Are the shockers that bad? You could always buy decent pattern spares, they are a fair bit cheaper than originals. My experience with Miele brushes is that they can last maybe 10-12 years or even longer with normal use. Much longer than most other makes. A motor fault (or very badly worn brushes) would also cause the same error as you got with the blown radial fuse (rinse light flashing). Changing the brushes first time around can seem a little awkward but I am pretty sure I wrote a couple of posts explaining how to do it some time ago. If you use the search facility I'm sure you'll find them. If you get stuck post again. If you think about how many times the door release button has been pressed in last 13 years it isn't surprising it has some wear. You always have the emergency mechanical release behind the drain flap to fall back on. Miele are cracking good machines ;)

Sponsored Links
Hi,
Even i had a similar problem with my Miele 842 washing machine. Opened the top cover of the washing machine checked the belt, turned the drum and it looked all ok.
Then i thought it could be a card problem because it was not giving supply to the motor.
So went on the internet tried find the price for the electronic card and it was nearly 77pounds, at the same time i was bit unsure of the card and i thought to my self if order a new card and after replacing it if washing machine does not work, then what?
then i decided to call in a local techinician, he came, opened the front cover, spend some time on checking and then he said it's a motor fault, need to replace it which would cost 400pounds, and said not worth repairing it, and ask me to buy a new machine.
But i was not convienced with that, then i went back on internet tried to get more information and i came across with this site and i became more confident to after reading the comment from bigredbucket. i ordered the TR5 fuse and the relay from RS and when parts arrived i replaced them,before that i checked the carbon brushes, motor, belt and shock obsorbers and they all looked in good condition.
Switched ON the washing machine and started filling water and worked perfectly.
Many thanks posting this comment it realy saved me having to buy a new machine.
:D :D :D

Hi,
I suffered the same problem with my 14 year old Miele 828 washing machine. Heard a loud bang part way through the cycle and then the rinses light flashing quickly. Upon restarting and trying any wash programme as soon as the drum tried to move the rinses light flashes and the the programme aborts.

I want to say a huge, huge thanks to beano1939 and HarriKiri who did fantastic work back in 2008 to produce the solution which I followed. Check out their posts here
//www.diynot.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=130792&start=0

On page 1, beano1939's post on 5th April 2008 details how to open up the front of the machine to access the circuit board containing the faulty components. HarriKiri's posts explain the components that have failed, a fuse and a relay, where they are on the main circuit board with very helpful photos included, and links to sites for purchasing them from.

I bought my replacements from RS Components:
The relay cost £2.01, part no. 189-4115, http://uk.rs-online.com/web/p/non-latching-relays/1894115/?searchTerm=189-4115

The fuses came in a pack of 10 for £4.89, part no 284-5423, http://uk.rs-online.com/web/p/non-resettable-wire-ended-fuses/2845423/?searchTerm=284-5423

Total cost, including VAT and delivery was £14.22

Replacing these two components on the circuit board and putting the machine back together took just over an hour. You do need soldering skills, a fine-tipped soldering iron and solder sucker to be able to remove the faulty components (the trickiest bit), before soldering in the replacements.

My machine is now fixed and running great again. Thanks so much to HarriKiri and beano1939 you are electronics 'Gods' and have saved me £600-£700 for a new machine. Really grateful for all the time you put in troubleshoooting, evaluating the circuit design, finding the solution and posting everything on this great forum. :D

Firstly I want thank everyone who has posted information on how to fix the EL200 circuit board and for supplying the parts numbers etc.

Our W842 is 16 years old and when it start playing up with the rinse light flashing and the machine stopping and just dumping the water, well, I thought this is going to be expensive.

The relay and fuse were ordered from RS Components and the brushes from eSpares. It made sense to do these as well as they were quite worn and both arrived the following day. The RS part number for the relay has changed from previous posts and it is now 6803830. The fuse is the same at 2845423.

Changing the brushes was straight forward and the video on You Tube helped. The EL200D PCB was a little trickier as I don't have a solder sucker and so freeing the eight pins on the relay had to be done very carefully. However, to my delight when it was reinstalled the machine ran perfectly.

The only other input I can make here is directed to those may be a bit daunted at this job. Firstly, DON'T, like me try to access the PCB by removing the machine top and the control panel. Doh! Access is so much easier when done the way Miele intended by removing the screws hidden by the detergent drawer and the bolts seen when the door is open. Save yourselves hours of angst!

Thanks again everyone for their posts and for saving me a packet. Total spend including postage - £37.00. Feels good!

I would just like to reiterate the last forum comments in saying congratulations and thanks to those who did all the work in tracking and finding the cause of the what appears to be a fairly common fault. However, obviously it is not a common enough fault for the so called repairers. After the machine had gone "bang" and with only the rinse light flashing and the finish light on an "expert" opinion was called for. Two men turn up and proceed to turn the drum and check for bearing problems - all ok. Next check the fault reported still exists - yes it does. Move on to check for carbon deposits underneath to ensure brushes haven't failed - none evident! The suggestion is that it is a faulty motor so tip machine forward to gain access/visibility. At this point the tool box is opened, great I think they are about to check to see if power is getting to the motor. No such logic is applied unfortunately, a pen and paper is taken from tool box to record the motor number. Once completed machine reinstated to the vertical position and an attempt made via mobile to check on replacement motor costs from the spares web site. I had previously queried the belt, which I agree was a silly question as I would have heard the motor turn. However when I queried if the control board may have a fault hence not initiating the motor start I was told that "no it won't be that and if it is it will have been caused by the motor failure". Now I know I may look like an idiot and sometimes behave like one but having worked many years of my working life in an industry that required fault finding to discrete component level in telecommunications equipment I felt a little suspect as to the competence of these two "engineers". However the spares site was down and so I was left with " well it will be expensive, we will ring you" - well at least both elements of that statement were true. Feeling a little concerned and after being dragged round the shops for a replacement in case of worst case scenario, I googled the fault and low and behold this web page came up. Everything about my fault was there plus all I needed to know about repairing it, how and what to use and even where to get them with the correct codes.
Having purchased and fitted the parts "she who must be obeyed " is a happy bunny again at not having to drag me down to the river with the washboard!!
So for two relays, belt braces and a bit of string syndrome, and a packet of ten fuses, all for £13.68, which included a handling charge of £4.95 due to the order being less than £20.00, I feel greatly indebted to those who have contributed to this thread. Given I was quoted £350.00 for the motor and the possibility of another £77.00 for the board, when they found the motor didn't work, plus the fitting costs for both, you could say I am some £500.00 to £600.00 pounds better off. Only down side is I paid £50.00 for the call out, still cheaper than Miele and the whole repair was still cheaper than a Miele call-out if they fixed the problem correctly, although I doubt even they would have faulted to component level and would have changed the board.
So all in all and after this long protracted addition to the thread many thanks again for all your comments.

I had a similar problem on my Miele W307. It turned out that it was the motor brushes that were worn out. This caused the flashing Rinse Light.

I found a guide on YouTube on how to replace the brushes on the Miele Motor 37.

Thank you for your inspiration :D

I had a similar problem on my Miele W307. It turned out that it was the motor brushes that were worn out. This caused the flashing Rinse Light.

I found a guide on YouTube on how to replace the brushes on the Miele Motor 37.

Thank you for your inspiration :D

Big bang & same problem for me on a 16yr old W827 and now fixed THANK YOU. Ordered relay and fuse & simply replaced (I own a soldering iron for very simple jobs - basic skill level). Drum seems to be shock absrobed still, have not checked motors or brushes. if it goes wrong again I will investigate motor etc...(video how to check brushes on youtube) .... I did buy 2 relays and 10fuses in case I needed to fix again.

A couple of extra bits to add for jobbing DIY'ers having a go because in terms of money they have nothing to lose compared to a big call out bill.

On the older string on fixing this problem there are pics and advice about the relay. If you apply a 9V battery to the relay it clicks if OK - mine clicked and when I opened it up found one set of contacts fused and the other clicking. The new relays clicks twice as loud!

When I got it running the machine started to fill with water and then the red light for "Check Inlet" started flashing and then stopped the machine. I followed other threads for this and simply put others had called Miele engineers out to plug a sensor pipe on the right hand side of the machine into the back of the circuit board!! I'd not reconnected it!! Works OK now

Saved me a load of money - thanks everyone. If it blows up in a year's time I am still a load better off!

I bought my replacements from RS Components:
The relay cost £2.01, part no. 189-4115, http://uk.rs-online.com/web/p/non-latching-relays/1894115/?searchTerm=189-4115

The fuses came in a pack of 10 for £4.89, part no 284-5423, http://uk.rs-online.com/web/p/non-resettable-wire-ended-fuses/2845423/?searchTerm=284-5423

Total cost, including VAT and delivery was £14.22

Great work with the PCB Schematic diagram and Pics! It makes and older Electronics Technician's Heart warm to see such dedication.

On Farnell.de in Germany:

The Fuse is called "SCHURTER - 0034.6623 - SICHERUNG, PCB TRAEGE 6.3A " with same OrderNr: 1214705 €5,47 (Pack of 10)
(search for PN. 0034.6623 - OrderNr does not show it). {http://de.farnell.com/schurter/0034-6623/sicherung-pcb-traege-6-3a/dp/1214705}.

The Relay is called "TE CONNECTIVITY / SCHRACK - RT424012 - SCHALTERPLATTENRELAIS PCB DPCO 12VDC " - € 2,34
(Search for RT424012) - {http://de.farnell.com/te-connectivity-schrack/rt424012/schalterplattenrelais-pcb-dpco/dp/1629053?ref=lookahead}

:)

Hi all, and thanks.
I followed this Miele problem-solving and my machine is working perfectly now. The service agent, here in Iceland, said a new card would cost 192 pounds and the work another 100, so I would be better off buying a new machine. But with the info from this site the total cost is 33 pounds.
I did replace the brushes, they were worn down, and they cost here 48pnds.
Thanks again to you guys my machine will serve me for years to come.
sigar

Firstly I want thank everyone who has posted information on how to fix the EL200 circuit board and for supplying the parts numbers etc.

Our W842 is 16 years old and when it start playing up with the rinse light flashing and the machine stopping and just dumping the water, well, I thought this is going to be expensive.

The relay and fuse were ordered from RS Components and the brushes from eSpares. It made sense to do these as well as they were quite worn and both arrived the following day. The RS part number for the relay has changed from previous posts and it is now 6803830. The fuse is the same at 2845423.

Changing the brushes was straight forward and the video on You Tube helped. The EL200D PCB was a little trickier as I don't have a solder sucker and so freeing the eight pins on the relay had to be done very carefully. However, to my delight when it was reinstalled the machine ran perfectly.

The only other input I can make here is directed to those may be a bit daunted at this job. Firstly, DON'T, like me try to access the PCB by removing the machine top and the control panel. Doh! Access is so much easier when done the way Miele intended by removing the screws hidden by the detergent drawer and the bolts seen when the door is open. Save yourselves hours of angst!

Thanks again everyone for their posts and for saving me a packet. Total spend including postage - £37.00. Feels good!

In in the same boat W842 16 years old, heavy load and the rinse light flashes.

Removed the motor brush are fine. Resistance across PINs 3 and 4 is between 3 and 4 ohms

Cleaned up the motor reffited same problem. Pump spinning, filters all clean. Drain hoses removed and clean. Felt the pipe work from drain pump to waste all clear. Remove big inlet to drain pump all spotless.
I've remove the rotaary dial knob and the Torx screws from the front and cannot remove the front control panel of the machine.
I found the EL200 its huge and it is free by there is a big cable running through the hole in the PCB one end seems to be going to the board the other is wired into the machine. NOT SURE how to proceed. I'd like to remove the board to make the component level repairs but this wire seems not to detach!

Thanks for the links to the parts and the info on the shocks.

This was my plan

1) Unit fails with Rinse LED flashing after 16 years
2) Checked motore, removed cleaned all fine
3) Drain pump and pipes clean and working
4) Unable to remove EL200 - STUCK
5) Order relay and PCB fuse repair board
6) Reinstall EL200 and test (no load) if this does not work Give up.
7) Order shocks and brushes fit around £30 shocks £6 brushes total spend £40ish
8) Final test

Brushes
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Carbon-Mo...t=LH_DefaultDomain_3&var=&hash=item1e97288766

Shocks
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Miele-Was...009?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_3&hash=item51d0dd50a9

Links in this post may contain affiliate links for which DIYnot may be compensated.
Thanks to all.
828 rinse light problem solved.
15 year old machine as good as new. Miele only interested in sending technition.
Everything concerning repair and fault was spot on. 6k1 and tr5 £3.46 from RS components.
Brushes from eBay for £5.99. Though I was confused when they arrived as the holders where not the same.
Thinking about it overnight, the next day I pushed out the carbon brushes from the rubbers and opened up the original holders to take them easy peasy.
Soldering of the electrical parts was a bit tricky, but tapping the board once the solder was fluid released the solder and cleared the holes.
Board is easily released from the machine with the 2 bottom clips.
Laundrette cost £20 a go for the 4of us.
Thanks again.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back