Whirlpool 18m 50/50 cooling fault

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,
My old FF has developed a fault with the fridge part. It wont cool at all, yet the freezer is fine.
Unit has been defrosted for some time, and when i turned it back on the freezer cooled down within an hour or so. The fridge part is not cool at all.

The fins on the back are vey warm, and i can hear .the compressor running every now and then.

I cant see any fans inside or out, so wanted to know if there are any stats I can test, or if there is anything else that should be tested as a first step.

Not sure its worth regassing but curious about what the problem could be before i consider that.

Any suggestions welcome.

Thanks in advance.

Sponsored Links
I don't know much about fridges but I don't think it needs re-gassing or the freezer would not work. If it is an auto-defrost type it could be that a defrost heater is staying on all the time.

Thanks Fidom, thats good to know.

I'm not sure the unit is auto defrost of not, but ill dig out the users manual and check. There is no freezer box in the top half so I assume it is.

I am going to replace the thermostat in the fridge, since its cheap, and could possibly be the reason its not cooling.

I'll look in the back and see if there is a heater thats on. I assumed the compressor was working so hard it just gets hot. Maybe a bad stat is actually causing that.

Ill come back once I replaced the stat and give an updater.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back