bush 9" dual screen in car dvd- volume

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
hi all...
hope you can help.....
the kids have a 2 screen, Bush 9" dvd player for the back of the car but they constantly complain that the volume is naff!! And it is!!!
Is there anything i can add to it, whether internally(electronic components) or externally( decent output plug in speakers etc) that will allow them to hear the dvd rather than the rear tyres road noise!!!!!!
cheers all

Sponsored Links
Headphones would seem like the most appropriate solution. Details on the Bush system are vague. It looks like there's a headphone socket on each screen, but you should check this on your own unit.

hi
yeah, weve used headphones but its still naff!!!
its defo the actual system volume....just not very good quality even on maximum volume setting!!

Sponsored Links
Shh! Don't tell anyone but I'm the originator. ;)

It's part hobby, part business.

If you don't like the work involved, you *might* be able to find a ready-built headphone amplifier at Maplin Electronics, for example.

But if you like to learn, then a kit is a good way to start. Bear in mind you need to find a suitable box etc. for the kit.

hah.... i wont tell a soul.........
which kit would you recommend for the naff Bush 9" dual in car dvd...i'd want it loud as pos!!! .or would the stereo listening amp be suitable....oh, its sold out!!!

The 15 Watt stereo Amp would be more than loud enough.
http://www.satcure.co.uk/accs/kits.htm#STERAMPKIT4

You don't need the (out of stock) transformer because you'll run a 12v feed direct from the cigar socket or a fused line from the car battery. Be sure to include an on-off switch. You'll also need loudspeakers or earphones unless you want to connect the rear car speakers.

thanks again sam.....
i wouldnt connect up to the car speakers tho does it not come complete with speakers ( i notice the 1watt version does!)

excuse my ignorance but im mechanical not electrickeryelectronical!!!!!

Sorry, 15 Watt RMS speakers are not supplied with the kit. I used to sell speakers, for a very short time, but stopped because the first pair were bought by an idiot who thought it was OK to test them with a 300 Watt amplifier, then claim under warranty.

In any case, I feel that headphones are a much cheaper and safer option in the back of a car. The driver won't be distracted.

If the issue is quality rather than simply volume then you should really define what you mean by "quality"

IOW, if headphones didn't work then tell us why they didn't work. Not loud enough. Improper tonal balance. Too much outside noise. Something else?

You see, the limiting factor is going to become the audio output from the Bush. If that really sucks then everything downstream of the audio output is tinkering. So, if you listen on the drive (no road noise) does the sound via headphones still suck?

thanks guys for the input....
lucid, its more to do with the loudness of the volume rather than the clarity...its just not very loud on full volume at all!!! obviously slightly louder when not travelling but alas road noise really gets in the way of listening to dvd even with headphones on.....

the label on the back says its 10w power consumption...

I might be teaching you to suck eggs here. If so, please forgive me...

Volume from the headphones will be governed by lots of factors, but the ones that you can have some control over are:

* Headphone type: Open-back headphones are the type that let sound leak out and also let outside sound leak in. Closed-back headphones do a better job of isolating the listener from environmental noise. The rub is the cost and closed back 'phones tend to be a little more difficult to drive.

* Headphone impedance: Without getting in to too much of a technical debate, cheaper headphones tend to be low impedance (Ohms Ω). This is good for volume; they go louder off less power. The caveat is that the sound quality isn't as good (admittedly less of an issue when used with budget sources) and, in relative terms, they draw a lot of current. This becomes significant if driving more than one pair from a single device. Closed-back headphones are often higher impedance. They won't go as loud but you can hear them better because of the acoustic isolation.

* Sensitivity/efficiency: for 'phones this is measured in dB/mW. Even though budget headphones are low impedance they often have awful efficiency. They aren't very good at turning the power from the source in to sound at the ear. If possible, look for headphones with an efficiency of 95dB/mW and above. That's harder to do than say though since manufacturers rarely give complete specs on their cheaper products because they know the figures won't look good.

So, how does this all translate in practical terms....

Well, it's possible that the headphone you might have tried in the past didn't sound loud because the impedance was too high for the source or the sensitivity was poor or they did a bad job in isolating outside noise. Tackling those issues with a different headphone choice will help.

Second, if you plan to use a headphone amp, make sure it is rated to drive the impedance of the headphones you have chosen. A few pounds extra spent on an amp that will handle headphones in say the 16-100Ω range is a better investment than one that goes to only 32Ω

suck eggs..... no way.......thanks so much.
im a dunce when it comes to electronickery so thanks for all advice.. and to sam too....
i will try different headphones as well as look into buying an amp/ amp kit....

of course, if i didnt go cheap in the first place and buy the Bush player i may not have this prob!!!!
lesson learnt.......

wish me luck.....my eardrums are bleeding from the kids moaning!!!
many thanks again

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back