Flickering Hitachi 26" LCD please help

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all, I have been recommended to come to come on here as I'm told there are one or two around that are the bees knees.

I bought a TV off ebay a few months back and all was great for a few weeks and then suddenly it just went stir crazy, when it first started it would calm down after say 15mins but now it is just constant. The screen just flickers like crazy and get green lines all over it, when it does calm down a little bit I still get a few green lines pop up occasionally in random places. It's driving me nuts now as I just can't seem to find anyone with the same problem.

http://i1136.photobucket.com/albums/n490/waynearees/DSCF4296.jpg

http://i1136.photobucket.com/albums/n490/waynearees/DSCF4295.jpg

When linked up to my laptop and on a pure white/almost pure white display such as google it's absolutely fine, as soon as I throw in a few colours off it goes?

Thanks for any help in advance...

Sponsored Links
It's faulty. I advise you to take it to a service shop.

Seriously, you mean this isn't normal...?

For future reference I wouldn't have come on here asking for advice for a device that is working perfectly fine.

But thanks for your input.

What other advice could we give? Are you looking for an in-depth diagnosis of which electronic component(s) might have failed?

You don't mention having any expertise or test equipment so it would be rather pointless to get into such a discussion because the answer would still be the same.

Sponsored Links
Sorry, no you are right I'm not an electrical engineer and wouldn't be repairing it myself but to have an idea on if it's repairable and whether it's even worth repairing would be nice, for example if it's just a resistor or something of that sort then I would probably be looking between £50 - £80 to have it done by a pro, if it's an LCD which I could do myself but would be completely pointless as the LCD would cost more than the TV.

Was just after a bit of advice that's all.

Well, I can try to make a diagnosis. I retired from repairs over 10 years ago but I can tell you what to do. What's the exact model number and chassis number?

Start by visual inspection of the PSU capacitors. See if any are obviously bulging. If they look OK then the next move is to make sure by checking them with an ESR meter.

If they check out OK, measure all the PSU output voltages and check the ripple levels with an oscilloscope. That will let us at least eliminate (or incriminate) the PSU.

Ok yes, I had the back off yesterday looking for any signs of corrosion, burning or bulging and nothing. I don't have an ESR meter as like I say I'm not an electrical engineer.

Surely though the PSU (I'm assuming: power supply unit?) wouldn't be at fault though would it as power is clearly getting to the unit or do TV's work differently?

Thanks by the way, much better than it's screwed even though I do sense a touch of sarcasm and attempting to make me scratch my head and look silly. I do have a slight understanding of electrical components, just not enough to diagnose faults etc or to wire up my own circuit board.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back