Freesat picture problems...

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, a friend of mine has had freesat for some time but recently she cant get a picture on it ...just a black screen with no signal BUT once i disconnect the lead and put it back in i get a picture but when i change the channel via the handset it looses it again (back to black screen etc)

does this sound like a damaged cable or faulty box?

Sponsored Links
Try a software upgrade.
Two ways generally, USB or through the aerial.
Then a new channel search.

It might be corrosion at the LNB connector. The "spark" induced when you reconnect the cable is punching through the corrosion layer and temporarily remaking the connection. Just a wild guess!

Or the LNB may be faulty and not switching bands correctly.

Alternatively, the receiver could be faulty. I've seen a similar problem with early Panasonic Sky digiboxes. What's the make and model number? Some models suffer capacitor failure.

not 100% sure but its a bush freesat box about a year old.

Sponsored Links
Do some basic troubleshooting

* Check the cable ends. Make sure the shielding braid isn't touching the centre copper conductor

* Try her box on another Sky dish (yours, a neighbour etc).

* If possible, try another Sky box on her LNB feed

* If the LNB has more than one output then try another socket

* Testing the LNB with a new box means you are also testing the cable. The problem could be either an LNB fault or a cable fault. You could try rigging up a new temporary cable from the LNB to the box. This will involve you moving the box and TV close to where the LNB is to use a short cable, but it will tell you if there's a cable or an LNB problem.

Report back with the results if/when you've had a chance to do the above. Good luck :)

result...box was faulty so a new box later and tv was restored.

Excellent :D

If you found the info here useful then do make use of the Thanks button so others know which posts gave you the appropriate help :)

bush...model number ..i cant remember sorry.

i did check the cable and tried it with another one which i know worked but the machine still had problems so i just changed the box for a new one .

I couldnt check the dish or LMB as it was connected to a comunial dish and so wasnt up to me to fix or check.

sorry i forgot to say i retuned/rebooted the box but it just hung there saying...please wait...and wait...and wait...lol

Thanks for getting back, it has been known to work that way, never mind :D

iv never seen or had freesat up till the weekend but her picture (when it worked )was great...the box itself was only 29.99!....basic bush version but she was happy as larry and thats the main thing :cool:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back