Freeview in car has no signal

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I recently installed Freeview TV into my car to go with the DVD players and Playstation 2 for the rear headrests. I have hard wired everything in and it all starts when the ignition turns on. I have connected the Freeview box up to a digital antenna which i have fixed onto the windscreen behind the rear view mirror on the black stuff. This has a built in booster and is also hard wired in.
I installed it in St. Athan, South Wales where every channel worked when the car was stationary. Since bringing the car home (an NP10 9 postcode) i have never had much of a signal and have never used it. Is there anything i can do?? The signal for digital TV in the area is supposed to be good due to Wales being the first to do the digital switch-over. Feels like i have wasted my money.

Suggestions greatly appreciated! :(

Sponsored Links
no expert but you need accurate polerisation and directional aiming to get a signal as in must be stationary and fully direction adjustable with possible retuning every time

Thanks for the reply.. not what i wanted to hear though From what you say it is impossible to have it in your car then? :cry

you can get tv in some high spec cars but not sure how that works

you can watch some tv live via the internet this may be easier

Sponsored Links
Thanks for that. Just for your info the freeview box i bought was specifically made for cars. Anyone else have any ideas how it works on high spec cars?

I have connected the Freeview box up to a digital antenna
There's no such thing. I suspect somebody has conned you. :oops:

NP10 is served by Durris transmitter, which requires a Group "A" or log-periodic aerial. The signal should be strong enough with the aerial high enough and pointing at the transmitter. It's not going to work while the car is moving, however, regardless of the car spec.

http://www.wolfbane.com/cgi-bin/tvd.exe?DX=L&HT=10&OS=NP10+9

Thanks for that. Just for your info the freeview box i bought was specifically made for cars. Anyone else have any ideas how it works on high spec cars?
On high spec systems there are several aerials and the reception box can swap between them for the best signal. This is called a diversity system. However, no car system no matter how good or expensive can overcome the problem of poor signal areas.

You'll find that most of these DTV reception systems are available as after market installation products rather than factory fit. The car makers aren't stupid. They know how customers would forget the limitations and automatically assume that if it's a factory fit option then it should work flawlessly. That is just unrealistic and no car maker wants that sort of a headache.

The alternative has already been mention. Internet TV. BMW were the first car maker to launch an in-car open web browser system built in to the car's TV/Sat Nav/iDrive screen. It was based on the 3G platform. Now we have 3G+ so the service is improved further, but still subject to network coverage. However, a Slingbox hooked up to a an internet connection at home could provide the server backbone to deliver live TV on the move.

I wouldn't bet on getting usable TV through a cellular internet connection. IME they tend to suck in many areas.

There also exist auto tracking sattelite systems (there are some listed at http://www.satellitesuperstore.com/motorhome-satellite.htm ) but they are far from cheap (think a couple of grand) and will need a clear view of the relavent part of the sky.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back