freeview lite vs freeview full signal advice

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am in high Wycombe and can currently get freeview from my roof aerial (I think from the crystal palace transmitter).

When Wycombe gets it's own digital transmitter in april it will be a free view lite transmitter (less channels).

Now my question is will the high Wycombe signal "overrule" the other signal from crystal palace. I live in a flat so the aerial is in someone else's loft, with a splitter box.

Will it automatically change over and then need forcing back to the other signal, will it just carry on as normal, will the other signal be completely overpowered?

Sponsored Links
If the two transmitters broadcast their muxes on different frequencies then you might be able to pick up both, but only if you re-scan your TV or Freeview box.

The transmitter your aerial points to is likely to be the strongest signal. If your aerial is not aligned for the new transmitter, then that signal (if you can pick it up at all) is likely to be the weaker one.

If you don't want to pick up the new transmitter, then you might get away without rescanning and everything should stay as it is.

Much depends on your receiver (TV/digibox) I have a problem where I live where the Winter Hill transmitter is in English but a distance from me but Moel-y-parc is in Welsh and close. Although aerial was pointed at Winter Hill continually my TV would on switch on want to re-tune as the two transmitters would yo-yo as to which was stronger. The Digi-box did not have as much of a problem but did also want to re-tune from time to time.

The problem was once one clicks yes to re-tune request it would take some time and most of the time we watched on Sky anyway. When the landers were replaced the aerial was removed and since then we have used just satellite TV. Both free to air and Sky and I have no real desire to re-instate freeview. Other than UK History channel which one pays for with satellite and free with freeview there is no loss with no terrestrial signal. Only a gain where every time I turn TV on it works straight away without re-tuning.

Sponsored Links
Thanks for link. Had home made one before but it would not allow the didi-eye to work so removed and lost. Have you used these? I was considering a 48 to 68 pass filter to stop 2 meter and 70 cm ham radio transmissions it says these have DC pass through so should be OK?

The aerial is up in someone else's loft (flat).

Does that equipment have to be installed on the aerial or on one of the bit's past the aerial wall socket in my flat?

You can put the filter anywhere between the aerial and the recieving equipment.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back