Memory stick to record live HDTV

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am wanting to buy a memory stick suitable to record television programs and am uncertain as to what I should be looking for. There are a whole host of sticks available, but will they all work properly when recording tv without suffering from data bottlenecks causing choppy playback etc.?

I found a good selection here: http://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/i.html?_f...gh+speed+usb+memory+stick&ghostText=&_sacat=0

and this one specifically: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/371213393794

but would any of the lower priced sticks do just as well? Thing is, I don't really want to pay a higher price if I get no more benefit than buying one for less.

Any advice gratefully received.

Links in this post may contain affiliate links for which DIYnot may be compensated.
Sponsored Links
I use a Lexar 32GB Jump Drive on my Samsung smart TV - it's fine for HD freeview recording, no stuttering etc. eBuyer part number 399076, £6.99

Nick

It's easy to be scammed - especially via eBay. I've bought memory sticks from there which appeared to be OK but died when I tried to load large video files.

At present I'm using the tiny SanDisk "Cruzer Blade 32GB", which has been OK so far.

Is 8GB really a large enough capacity for you?

I totally agree when it comes to being scammed into buying something that is not fit for the purpose for which it is described. I don't want to buy something, however much or little it should cost, only to then find it won't do what I expected it to, and then have to buy all over again. As to the capacity of 8gb being enough - well, I don't know - as I have never used one of these to record anything. How large a capacity should I be looking for? How many hours per gigabyte would be useful to know.

Sponsored Links
Thanks for all the help so far. Any further advice welcomed. I am going to go off and take a look at the various items you have mentioned in your posts and try to come to a decision as to which I should buy.

I am going to go off and take a look at the various items you have mentioned in your posts and try to come to a decision as to which I should buy.

:!: Try?.... Try! :!:

The Lexar 32GB Jump Drive nflowers is using on his Samsung TV is £6.99....... For goodness sake, how much "thinking about" does that really take? :eek:

How many hours per gigabyte would be useful to know.
Somewhere between 1-2Gb per hour of TV depending on the bit rate being used for the broadcast.
Is that a typo? Did you mean 1-2GB per hour? 1-2 Gigabits seems a bit small. Also, as the stick capacity is quoted in GB it's better to "stick" to the same units!
;)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back