Motorised satelite dish

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi there everyone, so I finally had enough of paying £80 a month for cable.

Basically I'm a big sports fan and currently have all sky's ports channels and box nation and Esp.

What I wanna do is use a motorised dish with satelite receiver which will give me a good signal for hopefully European channels aljazeera etc.

I know nothing about this this sort of thing and I'm going to get a couple of quotes but wanted to know abit of background knowledge before hand.

Basically I wanna know what you reckon I should get. I don't really wanna spend more than £500 if that is at all possible? I will spend more if it's worth it but I'm completely in the dark on this sort of thing.

Oh yeah I forgot to mention that I would need recording facility like v+ cheers in advanced

Shane

Sponsored Links
If you require a recording feature like V+ then I would recommend having a Freesat+ box like the Humax connected to a fixed minidish to handle the free UK channels.
For the motorised set up I would say a Technomate box with USB recording features, they do make a twin tuner version as well.
If you are after the football then a box with LINUX software might be good as you can use it to cardshare ( although illegal )
Dish wise I would say if you can get away with it a 1mtr dish with a metal geared DISEQC motor, quality secure mount is essential to track the arc correctly.
I've never gone for a motor just got two dishes front of house one 60cm for Astra/Hotbird and a minidish for Freesat.
In the back garden I have a 90cm which I have on a patio stand with the satellite locations roughly marked below, moving the dish by hand as required.

Thanks alot for the reply. I don't think the mrs will go for 2 dishes. I've read some some reviews on the techno mate and they seem good just a bit unsure on the user interface as been use to sky and virgin for so many years.

Curious as to what card sharing is ?

Also is there any receivers that do series link?

And finally with the motorised dish do you get long waits when changing channels sorry if this a stupid question but in a bit in the dark here.

Cheers

Sponsored Links
Card sharing is illegal. End of discussion. :)

Having only a motorised dish means that the household is stuck if you want to watch football. They won't be able to watch or record anything else. Better to have a fixed dish, aimed at whichever satellite you choose for football, with an LNB on a bracket to get Freesat.

Or a standard sky minidish for Freesat and the 1m dish for football and other foreign stations. (If I decided to do this my wife wouldn't have any say in it.)

It's possible to "reduce the visual impact of dishes" by suitable positioning and painting.

Sam Gangee has indirectly hinted at another option.
Take a good look at which satellites you'll want to receive from. If the number is small and they aren't too far apart, then it may be possible to put multiple LNBs on one dish - one LNB per sat.
No experience myself, but you may need a larger dish - the LNBs create a small shadow, and operating slightly away from prime focus reduces the gain a bit. Not to mention, the smaller the dish, the closer together the required mounting points are.

Right then I'm considering getting a 1m motorised dish with a dream box receiver running Linux. I'm going to get a engineer in next week to give me a quote. Is there anything I need to ask him ?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back