DIYnot
Local | Network
   DIYnot > Forums
Local | Network
DIYnot Network Local DIYnot Network Local  
  Forum IndexForum Index     RulesRules    HelpHelp     Join FREERegister Free     About CookiesCookies     SearchSearch     LoginLogin 

Multiple cables to outside of house - what's the best method

Search this topic :: View previous topic :: View next topic  
valve90210

from United Kingdom

United Kingdom

PostPosted: Mon Apr 08, 2013 8:39 am Reply with quote

Hi All

Having recently moved into a new house (semi-detached), I'd very much to get network cables run to every room as we have so much kit which wants to be networked and the number if only going to increase as time goes on.

My plan is to have the modem/router installed under the stairs, which are next to the outside wall. This would then allow me to run the majority of the network cables round the outside of the house which will make it much more simple to run them to all the room and into the positions I want without having to lift carpets etc.

This should be fairly simple for the most part as it will be a simple hole drilled into the wall and sealed up one the cable is through. but I'm not quite sure what to do at the main point of exit under the stairs as this will need to be a fairly substantial hole in order for me to run several cables out but obviously I don't want it to look a mess, nore do I want it to be draughty.

Has anyone else done this, if is so how, and or can anyone suggest any suitable methods (ducting?)?

Thanks
 Alert Moderators

If you do not want to see this advert, click here to login or if you are new click here to join free.
ChrisFrost

from United Kingdom

United Kingdom

PostPosted: Mon Apr 08, 2013 5:55 pm Reply with quote

Have a look at weather-proof adaptable boxes. They come in various sizes. It's the sort of thing that the mains sockets would be housed in if tyou were fitting outdoor power. You can have one large hole on the inside back plate for the cable bundle, and then a series of smaller holes radiating out from the side walls. Scroll down on this page

Now, I wonder what the alarm companies do? icon_wink.gif icon_wink.gif icon_wink.gif icon_mrgreen.gif
 Alert Moderators
ch427

from United Kingdom

United Kingdom

PostPosted: Sat Apr 13, 2013 7:10 pm Reply with quote

cant help thinking this will look terrible but it may be unseen?
make sure you use the compression glands to give the cables the weather seal they require. If you drill a hole in the back of the box its ip rating will be compromised so a bead of decent translucent sealant around the edge of the box to wall contact area is a good idea too.
 Alert Moderators
SimonH2

from United Kingdom

United Kingdom

PostPosted: Sun Apr 14, 2013 10:56 am Reply with quote

Also consider that standard network cable isn't waterproof - over time the UV will degrade it, moisture will work it's way in, and it'll fail. Usually lasts several years though.
You can get outdoor cable, but it costs a bit more, and the sheath is "quite a bit harder".
 Alert Moderators
Sam Gangee

from United Kingdom

United Kingdom

PostPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2013 11:21 am Reply with quote

SimonH2 wrote:
Also consider that standard network cable isn't waterproof - over time the UV will degrade it, moisture will work it's way in, and it'll fail.

This is absolutely true but a good coat or two of decent outdoor paint will at least double its life - more if you repaint it periodically.
 Alert Moderators
Search this topic :: View previous topic :: View next topic  
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DIYnot.com Forum Index > Audio Visual All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: