Multiple cables to outside of house - what's the best method

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi All

Having recently moved into a new house (semi-detached), I'd very much to get network cables run to every room as we have so much kit which wants to be networked and the number if only going to increase as time goes on.

My plan is to have the modem/router installed under the stairs, which are next to the outside wall. This would then allow me to run the majority of the network cables round the outside of the house which will make it much more simple to run them to all the room and into the positions I want without having to lift carpets etc.

This should be fairly simple for the most part as it will be a simple hole drilled into the wall and sealed up one the cable is through. but I'm not quite sure what to do at the main point of exit under the stairs as this will need to be a fairly substantial hole in order for me to run several cables out but obviously I don't want it to look a mess, nore do I want it to be draughty.

Has anyone else done this, if is so how, and or can anyone suggest any suitable methods (ducting?)?

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Have a look at weather-proof adaptable boxes. They come in various sizes. It's the sort of thing that the mains sockets would be housed in if tyou were fitting outdoor power. You can have one large hole on the inside back plate for the cable bundle, and then a series of smaller holes radiating out from the side walls. Scroll down on this page

Now, I wonder what the alarm companies do? ;) ;) ;) :mrgreen:

cant help thinking this will look terrible but it may be unseen?
make sure you use the compression glands to give the cables the weather seal they require. If you drill a hole in the back of the box its ip rating will be compromised so a bead of decent translucent sealant around the edge of the box to wall contact area is a good idea too.

Also consider that standard network cable isn't waterproof - over time the UV will degrade it, moisture will work it's way in, and it'll fail. Usually lasts several years though.
You can get outdoor cable, but it costs a bit more, and the sheath is "quite a bit harder".

Sponsored Links
Also consider that standard network cable isn't waterproof - over time the UV will degrade it, moisture will work it's way in, and it'll fail.
This is absolutely true but a good coat or two of decent outdoor paint will at least double its life - more if you repaint it periodically.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back