No signal in new house... Wolsey wps100/1

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
hi. I just bought a new house and it has TV / DAB sockets in most of the rooms. However, I don't get any signal from any of them

In the cupboard under the stairs is a Wolsey wps100/1, which from research is a power supply to a masthead amp.

if I unplug the input cable, the green light comes on - with it plugged in, it's off. The output goes to a distribution box...

Anybody idea if this light business is normal behaviour? It seems to be 'off' with the cable plugged in....

all ideas welcome!

Sponsored Links
Possibly a short in the cable somewhere in the chain from the aerial to the socket at the power supply. Try the plug at the power supply end first. Look for whisps of braid touching the centre conductor causing the short.

Chris is right. That's definitely an indication that something is drawing too much current. The most amusing case I've seen was where the installer omitted to fit the masthead amplifier. The power supply was feeding the aerial itself - a bunch of metal rods providing a short-circuit! :oops:

Thanks for the advice guys. Strangely, I found another Wolsey unit in another room, but it was switched off. I turned this one on and now there is good signal everywhere... Can't imagine why there are two power units in the house, but it seems to work now.

Is there a scenario where two PSUs would be needed - or could it be two amps?

thanks again!

Sponsored Links
Remove the first PSU. If the light is going out it's obviously doing no good so you might as well save electricity.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back