Speakers

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi everyone just making a quick inquiry, basically my old man wants some speakers for his beast of a home cinema system that he has just got as he reckons the ones he has got arn't good enough whatever that means? haha in any case i'm not really sure what constitutes a good sound system, he wants a full set of amps speakers ect, and he wants some fitted speakers aswel, i have seen a few that are quite pricey which i am assuming means better? so far i have come across this range of in wall speakers, but to be honest its all over my head, has anyone bought from these guys before? and can anyone point me in the right direction cheers

:)

Sponsored Links
This looks remarkably like an attempt to advertise your own web site without contributing anything useful to this forum.

Hi Sam this is not at all the case, i work as a free lance personal trainer and consultant i am currently having a site built, the reason i am posting is to try and get some advice for the query which is what i thought these forums are for?

thanks

i would be happy to tell you my site so you can have a look, but i don't want to be accused of "advertising" :)

Sponsored Links
If your "old man" is over 50 then his hearing probably cuts off around 8 kHz, in which case the choice of speaker isn't going to be too critical.

What impedance and RMS power rating is required?
Does the size matter?
How many speakers/ what arrangement?

the ones he has got arn't good enough
We really need to know what he means, otherwise we can guess his requirements forever and not get it right. The deficiency might lie in his "home cinema system" so please divulge the make and model number.

If you're in Aberdeenshire and it's not too far a trek then go over and have a chat with Corey and the boys at Holburn HiFi. I knew Corey from when I was repping for Sim2/Seleco (a projector manufacturer). He and the rest of the guys there are good people to deal with.

On a separate note though...if your old man has a "beast of a home cinema" that came with speakers then either he's bought an all-in-one kit, or he has bought a separates system and something has gone in the sales process and he's got something very under spec'ed. I suspect it's the former - in which case despite the manufacturer claims these things never perform. Changing the speakers won't help if the amp just isn't up to the job.

What your Dad needs is some good advice from experts like Corey. Just like if someone came to you for recommendations on equipping a home gym, you'd steer them clear of gear that is cheap, but a waste of money in the long run, well your Dad needs the same sort of help with getting the right gear for his AV needs... not just patching up a bad job with expensive speakers. You know yourself how much better training results can be with good advice and the right support. It goes the same with better quality home cinema gear too.

As above.
Buying audio equipment, unless you know exactly what you are buying & want, is not ideally done online. No matter how good or honest the company. As there is no substitute for hearing what you are buying & some real time two way communication with someone who knows what they have, (or can get) & who has the chance to get it right before you pay your money.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back