Wiring up a magic eye

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm wondering if someone may be able to help me.

I've just purchased sky tv and am looking to get it in my bedroom via a magic eye link. I've purchased an IO link to give me an RF out connection.

My main question is can I use the original coxal cable that runs to the Ariel on the roof as upstairs and downstairs TVs are both connected to the Ariel via a splitter and booster.

Many thanks.

Sponsored Links
Not unless the aerial job was a real bodge and someone joined the cables by simply twisting the wires together. If it's going via a masthead splitter or loft box then each output works in one direction only.

You can use the cable but AFAIK you'd need to disconnect the ariel.

I've done similar, and have disconnected the actual ariel. I had a co-ax cable running behind the gyproc from downstairs lounge to the ariel in the loft. I disconnected the ariel from the end in the loft and connected it to a sky compatible booster/splitter and fed it to two magic eyes on two upstairs tv's. The signal on both is perfectly acceptable/good although obviously not as good as downstairs. The magic eyes work great but we don't use both the upstairs tv's at the same, so can't comment on what would happen if both tried to control the tv at the same time.

The obvious down side to this set up is that all tv's can only watch whatever your sky box is showing, and you don't have an ariel feed any more, but you don't need one with sky anyway.

Sponsored Links
My Aeials on the chimney outside with the splitter, so can't access it. Ill just get a new wire run.

Thanks for your help!

If the coaxial cable is double-screened*, you can disconnect the aerial and use the cable to carry the Sky Digibox analogue output signal. If you also want to distribute Freeview (so you don't have to watch the same Sky programme on both TVs) you must connect the aerial to the aerial input on the Sky Digibox (or the IO-Link).

More info. http://www.satcure.co.uk/tech/split.htm

* If it is not double-screened, there's a risk that interference will cause problems - especially if you plan to use a "magic eye" for changing channel.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back