2002 Fiesta brake drums

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi. ive got a 52 plate fiesta (think its Mk 5?) and im trying to get the rear drums off. popped the hub cover off and behind it is a nut which looks like its got a metal shroud on covering it. do I need to get this off and get a socket on the nut underneath, or just get a socket on the whole thing? Been told its usually a 30mm socket but this feels a little loose?

Sponsored Links
Aha and welcome indeed to the crazy Ford locking device.....believe it or not, you are supposed to remove the entire hub by undoing the 4 bolts at the back, but no worries - just undo that nut (locking device on) and the drum will pull clear - assuming the wear lip isn't too great!
John :)

cheers john, I had read about taking out the bolts on the rear but took one look at them on my car and decided to go down the alternative route! they didn't look keen on coming undone!

so a socket on the whole thing? do you know what size it should be? 30mm seems a bit loose but next size ive got is 27mm which is too small so ill have to borrow one. Its not an imperial size is it?

out of interest, what is the purpose of the 'locking device'??

I'm sorry I don't know the size of the nut - but I use a 30mm too!
They are tight, but not that tight so keep the socket square and bash on.
The purpose of this thing is to prevent the nut from undoing - several methods are used including nyloc, staked or whatever.....Fords idea is a compromise on the early Simmons locking device, where the thread had a slight cross threading action when fully tight.
If the locking thing is in good condition, re use it - personally I like to put a dab of thread lock on, just for the sleep at night factor :p
I hope the drum pulls of ok.

Sponsored Links
Hi John,

Thanks again. Got both hub nuts off last night and got the drum off one side - I've borrowed a drum puller so it came off relatively easily. Looks a mess inside though - definitely due some attention!!

Any idea what torque I should do the nut up to when I put them back on?

The last figure I had was tighten to 235 Nm, which is 173 ft lb. Sorry I can't be more specific than that.
Bearing tolerances are pre set on these so I heave away with a breaker bar.

Back