2004 Scudo 2.0jtd - Glow Plug Questions

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
During the colder weather, my Scudo van has taken a bit of turning over first thing in the morning until it starts. Even when it wasn't freezing/frosty at night, the first start has virtually taken all the battery had until it finally started. Not a problem in warmer weather, and starts very quickly all other times.

I know nothing about glow plugs, and was wondering how long they last? Are they serviceable/cleanable? How can I tell if they're all working - is there a test I can do?

Not saying the plugs are faulty, maybe they're just not that good when it's cooler. Any advice gratefully accepted.

Sponsored Links
Disconnect each one, then its multimeter time.....look for around 1 ohm on each plug.
Also check that 12v is reaching the plugs, when the preheat light is on.
John :)

OK, thanks John. Will give that a go. Presumably, the plugs are easy to reach/find?

Also, I'm more or less 100% sure they're the originals and the van has 87K on the clock. How long do they last, and would I be expecting to replace at that mileage and 10 yrs old? Or do they normally last the life of the vehicle? If they need to come out, do they come out easily like spark plugs, as I believe that things like injectors on some diesel vans (eg Vaux Vivaro) can be a bit of a mare?

That's the million dollar question.....sometimes they last for ever, but when they do fail, poor cold starting is the result - maybe with some smoke.
They will have a heavy duty wire connection, and be pretty close to the injectors.
You'll need a deep drive full hex socket to shift them and usually they shift OK....but you don't want to shear them off! Do test them first.
Its true, some injectors are terrible to remove, but yours can probably be left alone...have a go at the plugs first. Bosch are a good replacement if you need some.

Sponsored Links
I know nothing about glow plugs, and was wondering how long they last? Are they serviceable/cleanable? How can I tell if they're all working - is there a test I can do?
If they're difficult to access you can do a simple but crude test on them. Get a jump lead or similar and connect it to poz battery. Take the electric plug/lead off the glow plug, hold a long screwdriver or similar against the top of the plug where the wire goes on (thus the screwdriver shaft becomes the power feed to the plug), and brush the live jump lead off the screwdriver shaft. If you get a big juicy spark the plug is good, if a weak puny spark or none at all then the plug's knackered.

If one is knackered I'd replace them all, they're generally around £10 each give or take.

What length of screwdriver Allen ............. ;)

Had a quick prod with the meter - access isn't easy. Loads of the injector wiring and pipework in the way. The glow plugs don't have pull off plugs, but have a small nut on the top of each one. a wire travels from each plug in series. The wires have terminals that are secured under the nut on top of each plug.

For now, I've left everything in place. The nuts on the plugs would be difficult to access, and removing any plugs would require other components to be removed for access first.

Anyway, with ignition off, I put neutral meter probe on chassis earth, and phase probe on the nut on top of plug. Each one came out at 3.5 ohms. I realise this test isn't exactly as suggested above, but wonder if the consistent result proves anything?

The Scudo engine bay seems more designed for a gynaecologist than a mechanic. :LOL:

As you say, access isn't the best - it never is!
You've tested all of the plugs here connected together in series.....unfortunately you do need to test them separately.
However, I would say that the reading you have is pretty close......4 plugs, 1 ohm each, add together etc. Sticking my neck out, I'd say that if any plugs were faulty at all, it's no more than one.
Stick your meter on the plugs again, this time set to voltage and see how long 12v is applied to the plugs (preheat period).

I guess you could also try and 'jump them' before you start it, with a jump lead from the battery + to one glow plug.

I had a 1998 fiat scudo I think? (Edit: yup w reg) I had the same problem as you, I was using easy start to start it until I found the problem.

Turned out the glow plug relay was duff and wasn't applying voltage to the glow plugs.

I replaced the relay and everything was good.

You've tested all of the plugs here connected together in series.....unfortunately you do need to test them separately.

Yes, just realised that testing them connected together didn't really prove anything. :oops:

Thanks to you and xr4x4 for your suggestions. Will give more time to it and test properly.

Sponsored Links
Back