2005 Volvo V50 - Possible Alternator issues

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
A couple of years ago i had my alternator replaced.

back then the symptons of the car were, headlamps, rearlamps and foglamps staying on after the key was removed, and shortly before the alternator died, there was an electrical burning smell.

Now, for a few weeks randomly my lights have been staying on after the key was removed and arriving home this afternoon i could smell the electrical burning smell again.

is 2 years for a replacement alternator that cost me 300quid acceptable?

Because the symptons are happening again, i can only assume its the alternator again. If anyone has any other ideas, please let me know

Jack

Sponsored Links
Charging light staying on when the engine is running?
Hopefully its the alternator as a burning smell could be anything, so get it checked out ASAP.
You may get better value by fitting a secondhand replacement alternator if required, from your local breaker.

Charging light staying on when the engine is running?
Hopefully its the alternator as a burning smell could be anything, so get it checked out ASAP.
You may get better value by fitting a secondhand replacement alternator if required, from your local breaker.

I can only assume the charging light goes out once the engine is running, I nothing else is happening other than the lights and the electrical burning smell.

I'm not criticising anything or anyone here, but why would the alternator problem cause the running lights to stay on?
Either way, I would think if you can get close enough to the alternator to give it a good sniff it should be possible to find the source of the pong.
John :)

Sponsored Links
Sure, I can't argue with that....don't understand it though!
You coukld maybe have your alternator rebuilt, or exchanged at a motor factors which could save you a bit - I would imagine that your existing alternator would have had a one year warranty.
John :)

If the charging light in the dash is coming on when you turn the ignition on, and going off when you start the car? The chances are its charging the battery, but to double check you should have approx. 15volts across the battery after the car has been running for a few minutes.

If it is charging then you have a wire burned out in the dash see link below.

http://www.volvo-forums.com/t36908-headlights-won39t-turn-off-96-850.htm

that would be my best guess, a wiring fault somewhere. I cant answer why last time the alternator change solved it though

Sounds like i need to get hold of a voltometer.

The thing about the alternator, I was told lights staying on could be a sympton of the alternator slowly dying. But im no mechanic so you're guess is a lot better than mine.

Thanks for the advice guys, Ill have a nosey at when it finally stops raining

One common point between the alternator and other circuits may be the ignition switch. Turning the ignition on sends power to both the lighting circuit and the alternator / charging circuit. If the switch (or engine management system) doesn't disconnect the supplies as expected, leaving the alternator field coils energised without the alternator turning, it may overheat and kill the alternator.

So a sick alternator could be a symptom of another electrical issue, not the root of the problem.

volvo v50 and70 wiring across front crossmember under radiator has a habit of melting and fusing together giving all sorts of weird faults.

would be my first port of call. feel a wee trip to a decent autospark forthcoming.

sorry
dave

I called out a local autosparky who repaired something, but the fault hasnt reoccured, So fingers crossed.

cheers for the advice fellas.

Sponsored Links
Back