Bodyshop - repair or replace

edv

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I had an accident with a tree a few weeks ago - crashed into a tree that fell in front of me in the storms, lots of dents to front grill, bonnet, roof, car doors, branches sticking into the windscreen and radiator. My car (an Audi A3 less than 12mo old) was taken to a Volkswagen body shop. They gave a huge quote to my insurance for the repairs, including replacing a roof panel. They've told me there's been a delay because they couldn't get the roof panel ("need to get it sent from Germany" etc. etc.).

Today they've phoned me and said it could take weeks to months to get the roof panel. However, they've now decided they think they can repair it to a good enough standard instead of replacing it. This sounds la bit dodgy to me and I'm not sure if I should accept it. But if there's no visible dent left, maybe it is good enough? Not sure what to say to them. They did say that if I wasn't happy with it I could bring it back for a replacement in future...

Sponsored Links
I think repairs have to be inspected so that should be OK, my chief worry is that your car may be put in a written off/repaired category which may affect its resale value, if that is not so I would go for the repair but check first.

Peter

• Thanks
Reactions: edv
Thanks - I just phoned my insurance company. They said they get their engineer to confirm whether repair is acceptable. I don't think it should be written off as its a nearly new Audi and the repairs came to £5K

I'm sure the insurance company will agree with the repair, especially coming in cheaper than originally thought?
Would you not be better to get independent advice or just say no, and push hard for a complete write off? Don't be afraid to ruffle feathers, its unacceptable to repair a roof panel that was unrepairable until they couldn't get a replacement. That's not your problem, and I'm sure they give you an equivalent courtesy car, so why the rush?

• Thanks
Reactions: edv
Sponsored Links
Thanks - just not sure what independent advice I can get? As you say, I'm minded to just demand a full replacement, but not certain of my rights, and the technicalities of what they're proposing

The outcome is actually down to the insurers, and their assessor in particular. if the assessor reckons that the repair will cost around 60% of the cars value, then it will be repaired.
The only line you could take is to say to the bodyshop who will be pricing the repair -'look - I really don't want that car back' and see how it goes.
I had this exact scenario with Mrs B's vehicle years ago - the damage was colossal, but not enough to send it over the repair cost threshold. We got the car back.
John :)

To clarify: there's no question of the entire car being replaced. It cost £20k 6 months ago and the damage is only £5k. The question is whether a repaired roof panel is acceptable or whether I should demand to have it replaced as they originally planned. The insurance engineer has called me now and said that a repair is preferable because they don't need to cut into the car to remove the roof. But then again, they are paying the bill, so can I trust them any more...?

whether I should demand to have it replaced as they originally planned. The insurance engineer has called me now and said that a repair is preferable because they don't need to cut into the car to remove the roof. But then again, they are paying the bill, so can I trust them any more...?

You can't really 'demand' anything per-sey. The insurance engineer (assessor) is correct here. I'd relax and let them get on with it!

Julian

Personally I'd stick out for a new roof if you can....I've had this once (Megane reversed out of the garage with the tailgate up :p ) a new roof was welded on, and the repair was absolutely perfect.
I guess it all depends on how bad the damage is - but the insurer holds the cards here. If the job isn't perfect then it can be rejected.
John :)

I would prefer the repair.

To replace roof panel requires slicing the top off the main safety cell of the vehicle. this would have originally been welded in place by incredibly accurately controlled robots, wire speed, travel, filler feed, current, penetration etc. will be all controlled as to make them perfect. I cant see how some guy in a body shop with a MIG or TIG welder can be that good, no matter how skilled he may be. If it was me, I wouldn't want anyone messing with the integrity of the safety cell if it can be avoided.

As has been said previously, you can always reject the repair if you are not entirely satisfied.

Sponsored Links
Back