Cooling fans on Rover 45 TD

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
2001 reg

I disconnected the twin cooling fans as they were running continuously.

The temperature gauge always reads normal since I got the car so there must be a faulty sensor somewhere that controls the fans.

Can any Rover expert shed light on where I should look please?

Sponsored Links
Fingers crossed to find a switch that screws into the side of the radiator about 2/3rds up - usually has 3 wires.
However, many cooling fans are ECU controlled these days!
John :)

Thanks for that Burnerman

Sadly, its a no for a sensor on the radiator.

If its an ECU matter, is resetting of the ECU by an auto-electrician a feasible solution?

Guessing time really....there are two temperature sensors on the thermostat housing, bolted to the engine block.
One sensor controls the gauge, the other sends info to the ECU.....thats the upper one.
You could take a gamble and replace that one, but purely speculation on my behalf.
John :)

Sponsored Links
Think it is ecu controlled on these via a relay, so the relay contacts could be welded closed.

Mind those Rover engines, they don't like over heating ........

All things equal, it might be the best of two evils, leaving it running?

As the car is pretty old now (banger status :( ) and if finding the problem is a headache then you can always run a wire via a switch to the fan so you can switch it on yourself.

You'd only need to do this when stuck in traffic for lengthy periods. Make certain first that you're confident that the engine temp gauge is working properly.

ref: relay contacts could be welded closed

Where is this relay?

ref: relay contacts could be welded closed

Where is this relay?
Relay box? Otherwise don't know. I have a 220 which has fan switch on radiator. Just understood later models it was controlled by ecu. If this is the case there would be a relay for fan somewhere.

Thanks all for reply the posts.

I'll investigate the relay.

Ever since I disconnected the fans the engine has run erratically until warmed up so perhaps the relay also provides information to the ECU.

Autodata does not show a relay only a control module which looks as if it controls the ac cooling motor too which must be the 2nd fan.
It suggests its located near the top of the rad on the passenger side.

Sponsored Links
Back