Corsa 1.1 constantly low oil but no leak

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi my sons got a 1.1 2003 reg petrol corsa there is no oil leaks also its not blowing smoke but its using lots of oil , 5 litres in last 8-10 weeks ...any ideas to what's the problem ,the engine seems sound enough but is in the late 90000 miles ..... Cheers

Sponsored Links
If it isn't dripping it has to be burning, I'm afraid......its worth checking the breather system though as this could be causing excess crankcase pressure. Basically its a rubber pipe leading into the air cleaner box, so check that for blockage.
I imagine with the engine running, there will be quite a bit of air / fumes coming from that pipe, indicating engine wear.
Can you find out how many miles your son is driving to consume one litre of oil?
John :)

If it isn't dripping it has to be burning, I'm afraid......its worth checking the breather system though as this could be causing excess crankcase pressure. Basically its a rubber pipe leading into the air cleaner box, so check that for blockage.
I imagine with the engine running, there will be quite a bit of air / fumes coming from that pipe, indicating engine wear.
Can you find out how many miles your son is driving to consume one litre of oil?
John :)

Ive checked breather pipes and all seem ok . Just sat and kept revs on between 4000 and 5000 and no smoke at all ,also I've looked under it and no leaks also drive is clear of oil.... Totally stumped now

Is there any signs of oil in the coolant? 5L would be quite a lot to go this way but worth a look - make sure the engine is cold before removing the reservoir cap.

Sponsored Links
Best to let the sump breath to the outside while under test. Pull a pipe off and run an extension down the side. So excessive back pressure can be ruled out. You will not see the blockage without close examination.

Change the oil, if its been in for a while. No good topping up with good oil into old.

Then if the engine is not leaking oil, it must be burning it, regardless of the smoke coming out the back.

Excessive wear on the piston rings, but a compression test will clarify the situation, or better still a cylinder leakage test.

Best to let the sump breath to the outside while under test. Pull a pipe off and run an extension down the side. So excessive back pressure can be ruled out. You will not see the blockage without close examination.

Change the oil, if its been in for a while. No good topping up with good oil into old.

Then if the engine is not leaking oil, it must be burning it, regardless of the smoke coming out the back.

Excessive wear on the piston rings, but a compression test will clarify the situation, or better still a cylinder leakage test.

is it possible for it to be burning oil but running normal without smoking. car was ment to have been serviced when we got it but looking at the oil filter cap its not been touched at all

Yes it is, especially if the car is doing motorway runs, or long runs where you wont notice the oil burning in the exhaust fumes. You may see smoke (usually blue) if you are doing stop/start trips.

No matter, if its not leaking out it must be burning it, no other options. Just double check that its really really dry around the engine and bell housing, where the engine bolts to the gearbox, especially underneath?

Looks as though the oil could be in a while, hopefully

It's burning it...

Follow it from behind in a car with the windows open and get them to drive it hard, like your son does..... And see if you can smell burning oil.

You cant do this by reving it, it's not under load.

It's burning it...

Follow it from behind in a car with the windows open and get them to drive it hard, like your son does..... And see if you can smell burning oil.

If you follow and get the driver to take their foot off the accelerator for a second or two, and then accelerate again, you may well see a tell tale puff of blue smoke.

I don't know this engine at all, but could it be the valve stem seals are done in?

At a guess though the engine is getting generally a bit worn, and is being driven hard.

It's burning it...

If you follow and get the driver to take their foot off the accelerator for a second or two, and then accelerate again, you may well see a tell tale puff of blue smoke.

I don't know this engine at all, but could it be the valve stem seals are done in?

At a guess though the engine is getting generally a bit worn, and is being driven hard.

Exactly... Mother inlaw had one, that burned oil also.. I think they have a hard life only having three cylinders....!

wipe a cloth over the back of the car, any black sooty oilyness?

My 1.25 fiesta was using 5L of oil A WEEK, but there was no leak and no blue smoke. It smelled oily but that was all.

Turned out to be the exhaust side valve stem seals, they'd totally given up. This meant the oil wasn't being burned, just pushed into the exhaust and spat out the back.

Replacement engine cured it. was cheaper than rebuilding the old one.

Dave.

My old corsa 1.2 sxi seemed to be loosing oil rather fast.
Took it to the mechanic and they found the problem, replaced a few parts and sent me on my way with a bill..
Should of asked them what caused it really..

Hi my sons got a 1.1 2003 reg petrol corsa there is no oil leaks also its not blowing smoke but its using lots of oil , 5 litres in last 8-10 weeks ...any ideas to what's the problem ,the engine seems sound enough but is in the late 90000 miles ..... Cheers
Broken Piston Rings - maybe just 1 pot - scrap it after it fails the MOT emmisions :cry:

Sponsored Links
Back