Could this really cause a knocking noise? VW Golf 1.6 '03

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hiya, I have a VW Golf '03 plate mk4 1.6 16v.

Hope someone can put my mind at ease a little.
I have a knocking noise coming from the front right corner of the car, seems to be coming from the wheel area itself.
The noise varies in how loud and fast it goes and typically almost non existant every time i take the mechanic out in it.
I left it with him for a day with a list of things i found on google that it could be. Anti-roll bar links etc.
He says the only thing he can find wrong is a worn exhaust hanger. Specifically the mid one.
Is this plausible? I've heard noises can travel along driveshafts so could any noise of it bouncing about be heard from the wheel?
It's getting replaced on Friday anyway so will soon see. It just feels like it might not be right.
If anyone is going to attempt to diagnose i should point out it's unlikely to be from the gearbox/transmission as i went down a hill in neutral to test that out myself and still made the noise.
Thanks in advance for any replies.
Mark.

Sponsored Links
I'm a little puzzled why you left the mechanic with a list of possible faults you found on Google. Surely it's the mechanic's job to identify the fault without help from Google (or you for that matter)?

Does the noise occur when negotiating a bend - is it worse than in a straight line? Is it noisier when under load or when coasting (no load)? Does it occur with the engine off and coasting (careful the steering lock is not engaged)? Noisier over bumps or stays the same?

Hard to diagnose a noise without being there but a good mechanic should be able to sort it - without Google!

Because i overthink everything and due to only being able to see him 1 day a week due to work i tend to sit on google trying to figure out what it is. That is just me being me, not the mechanic asking for ideas lol.

I haven't dared try it with the engine off yet. Definately worse under load but don't get much opportunity to coast around so could just be where it's not consistant anyway.
The loudest ive ever heard it was going round a tight corner probabaly a little faster than i should have been going (first car after passing test 3 years ago so will pass that as inexperience) but have heard it almost as loud going straight.
It really is bugging me because it doesn't seem to have a rule as to when it makes the noise.
I'm in no way technically minded so im afraid this will turn into complete rambling soon. But is it plausable for a worn exhaust mount to lead toward a noise travelling toward that area of the car?

The obvious areas are drop links and anti roll bar bushes - both fairly easy to spot with the car on a ramp.
Of course there are other possibilities - top suspension mount etc - and a driveshaft issue will show up as a clatter going round a corner.
I doubt if there is a connection with an exhaust hanger, but its just a thick rubber block and easy enough to replace (assuming the hanger rod hasn't rusted off the pipe, of course!)
Don't always assume the noise is definitely from the front though.....noise can happily travel forward from the rear subframe mountings.
John :)

Sponsored Links
Cheers to both of you,
the hanger is being replaced on Friday,
if it still doesn't sort it i'll take it to another mechanic as i do keep getting the feeling im a hinderance when i take my car in. Just a funny guy i think. Not sure he believed me that there is a noise but we'll see!

Back