Dealing with corrosion

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
We have a Honda Jazz which spent the first 4 years of its life on the seafront in South Wales. Consequently it has been subjected to an extraordinary amount of rain and sea spray. My wife was complaining that the brakes were vibrating. I jacked it up to take a look. Had a job getting the wheel off as both the nuts were sized and the rim was seized to the hub. The discs were in pretty bad shape, I checked the run out and it is 0.15mm so way out of range.

The hub, upright, shock, everything is coated in rust. I took a wire brush to the hub and re-fitted the wheel with some copper grease on the flange. Pads and discs definatley need replacing but I am wondering what to do about the rest. Is it worth getting some rust remover and wire wool and stripping / cleaning everything up? Then maybe a coat with Waxoil? What about the exhaust which is also rotten?

The clip which holds the ABS wire in place is so corroded the nut has flared open like and onion skin. Will replace that.

Is it worth trying to clean up and protect the rest? Feel like should chop the car in but it has low mileage and FHSH and I don't think we could swap for an equivalent car.

Sponsored Links
Its probably par for the course for most vehicles really - springs and struts, anti roll bars etc have very little protection other than a quick spray over with black paint.
So long as the bodywork is pristine (and it should be) personally I'd not worry - replace the pads and discs as needs be, clean off the rest and apply some spray body wax over everything else you can see - it won't do much good but its better than nothing!
The alloy finish on Jazz wheels isn't good and they always stick to the hub, and the rear pads are tiny and worth a strip, lube and clean.
Probably my favourite vehicle to service, the Jazz!
John :)

Its probably par for the course for most vehicles really - springs and struts, anti roll bars etc have very little protection other than a quick spray over with black paint.
So long as the bodywork is pristine (and it should be) personally I'd not worry - replace the pads and discs as needs be, clean off the rest and apply some spray body wax over everything else you can see - it won't do much good but its better than nothing!
The alloy finish on Jazz wheels isn't good and they always stick to the hub, and the rear pads are tiny and worth a strip, lube and clean.
Probably my favourite vehicle to service, the Jazz!
John :)

Cheers John. You must have smaller hands than me, those rear spark plugs are a bugger to get to!

Bodywork is fine, just the exposed metal.

The Honda service guide says to put copper grease on the hub flange to stop it sticking, but looks like this was never done, the alloys are bubbling in places so I know what you mean about the finish.

I have an Accord also and I have to say the Honda's are much more favorable for DIY work than the VW/Audis we used to have. Couldn't do anything without a "special" tool which costs hundreds on those. Something simple like a thermostat change involved removing the bumper, titling the radiator, both belts off (with a £300 set of tools) etc.

Sponsored Links
Back