faulty electric window

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, my little round=around is giving me lots of trouble recently!

She's a VW Polo, 16v, 5 door, 2002 (petrol)

Tried to wind up the window (they're electric) on the passenger side and it wouldn't go up. A friend took off the side panel and thinks that it's come off its track and that the 'string' is screwed (the motar runs). He's not a mechanic, just trying to help.

Is his diagnosis right and if so, is it easy to fix and approx how much.

Any help appreciated or it's down to the VW shop - I've given them a kings ransom for other stuff and n, getting rid of is not an option. The mileage is too low to loose her.

Thanks.

Sponsored Links
I've not changed one on a Polo but Renault wanted an arm and two legs for the complete window regulator mechanism for my Laguna, however good old Ebay was selling the cable section without the motor for a fraction of the price. Perhaps you would find luck there.

if it has over run then it could well require a new wire or spool.
iirc inside the motor housing is a plastic spool,this has twin threads going opposite ways.
had the window come off its clamps,if so then you may need to renew these aswell.
as said already they sell on ebay repair kits for the regulators.

Sponsored Links
Thanks gregers

I've been on e-bay. Seems I need to find one that is suitable for a 5 door polo. Will look in more detail this evening. Not exactly a cheap kit, if I need everything! If the motor's running, can I assume that I won't need to replace that part, though it may not be easy to get each component part seperately.

Anyway, many thanks.

I'd assume the motor would be ok if it's still working. You might be better to strip the old one off and then get the new parts you need. Beware you'll probably need to jam the window back up in the meantime tho if you need to use the car.

quick update. Rang my local VW dealer to enquire as to the price of a new window regulator (may not need the whole kit but just curious), supply is £113.22 and one hours labour, a staggering £172! couldn't believe. Hopping that I can buy whatever's needed on e-bay, as previously suggested. Me thinks, if I get made redundant from the day job, might be worth re-training as a mechanic's mate!

Usually if the bowden cables have become stranded, you have to buy the complete assembly which includes pulleys, cables, guides and clamps that go to the glass.
The motor comes separate and you shouldn't need to replace that if it still spins.
Fitting is simple enough, but getting the door card off without damage is a bit more of a task.
The parts price is almost the same as the mechanism I had to fit to a SEAT Altea.
John :)

Volkswagen Audi Group.
I ended up with a main dealer part for the Altea, but I got 15% off that for being a nice guy :p

Volkswagen Audi Group.
I ended up with a main dealer part for the Altea, but I got 15% off that for being a nice guy :p

never ;) :LOL: :LOL:

as said a few minutes spent on the phone or going in,can save you a shed load.

Sponsored Links
Back