Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Volkswagen
Bora
1.6 Petrol
110 000 Miles

hi there

Today my Bora developed a problem. When I was driving to work, after few minutes on the road I wanted to swich the gear and once I went for no gear I could not switch the gear at all. I just used the momentum of the car to park on the footpath. Once I switched the car off and on again, the gearbox fixed and ran very smoothly, than again after about 10 minutes the problem came back. I kept switching car off/on to change the gears.

New gearbox and clutch were instaled a year ago.

Can anyone help?
Thank you

Sponsored Links
I'm assuming this is not triptronic or anything fancy? You keep using terminology like 'switch' which people may use if their playing with paddles (select is the more usual term).

When it happens, does the selection feel better as soon as you switch off the engine? If you try to select reverse, does it crunch?

If you answer yes to both then it's likely to be a clutch problem. Are you losing any brake fluid at all?

Thank you for quick response

Sorry for my poor English, it is not my mother tong. I have finished Mechanical Engineering degree in UK so I think to have sufficient vocabulary for easy conversation :)

It is not triptronic, just an ordinary manual gearbox.

Yes after switching the engine off selection of gears becomes easier, otherwise it is impossible. About 10 min after starting the car all works well and then something goes wrong and selecting of gears become impossible.

Yes reverse gear seems to be the worse one; when all the gears work well, selecting revers creates suspicious noises.

I didn’t see any liquid under the car but I will look once more, it just started happening this morning.

Thanks a lot.

The clutch is dragging - that means its not releasing properly.
This is either due to cable adjustment (if non hydraulic type) or more likely, the clutch pressure plate has some finger springs broken.
Has the 'feel' of the pedal changed recently?
John :)

Sponsored Links
I would check and monitor the level of the fluid bottle as well as peering underneath. Losing brake fluid will eventually mean you looking brakes.

It does sound like it's clutch related.

When they did the clutch and gearbox did they replace the slave cylinder as well?

Back