Is there a tool to remove a stubborn 7/16 MALE sump plug?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi- not quite a car I know, but a ride on lawnmower with a 7/16 inch MALE sump plug. I've tried spanners, mole grips, adjustables, but it's starting to round the plug's edges. Anyone know if there's a square socket to fit?Halfords don't do.
Thanks in (hopeful) anticipation. Richard.

Sponsored Links
A standard high quality multi-sided (not 6 sided) socket will hammer down on it, but you will have to pick the size yourself.
Tap the head of the plug with the hammer to shock the tapered threads (just don't crack the casing). If you haven't a tight socket you could try straight jaw vice grips. Apply pressure and keep hammering the grips onto the plug, again trying to shock the threads. If you slip to many times, you might end up drilling it and we don't want that.

Probably not much room, so good luck

PS might come easier after you cut the lawn, from the heat?

Its often easier to tip the mower over, and drain out through the filler plug hole.....failing that, vacuum oil extractors are available.
John :)

Thanks for this guys. Two options, both of which look like a solution! Thanks very much for taking the time to help out. Richard.

Sponsored Links
That was a 'soft in the head' reply of mine.....you'd have a job tipping a ride on machine on its side :p
If you do manage to shift the plug (Mole grips for me) keep the oil off the belts!
Halfords hand pumped fluid extractor may be the way.
John :)

If you have a welder or know someone with one, ask them to weld a nut onto the sump plug. Works every time for me.

;)

It is quite easy to tip one of those on its side with two people.

My friend in France has three!

I have no more suggestions about how to get the difficult plug out though.

I would be using Stilsons!

Tony

Sponsored Links
Back