Kia Sedona 2007 Brake light issue

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi. My wife's Sedona is in for MOT tomorrow. The 2 brake lights are not working, but the bulbs are fine. The tailgate brake light is working. There is a common fuse for all 3 and is okay. Is there only one pedal switch (if that is the right term)

Regards.

Sponsored Links
I think they use a double filament bulb, one for side lights and one for stop lights? Don't make the classic mistake of forcing the bulb in half a turn out.

Get someone to sit in the drivers seat with the ignition on and their foot an the brake. Most manufacturers run all wires into one rear taillight, use what they need and run the rest over to the other side. Find the light/wiring loom plug where the wires for both sides go into, probably a bad connection here.

A test light to probe for 12volts across the bulb holder with a good bulb fitted would be handy. But keep moving things with the circuit live (switched on) until you see life at the bulb, then move on to the other side.

Hope this makes sense

PS If you still have no luck, check for power going to the back, there might be a different wire from the switch to the tailgate and one for the taillights.

If you are feeling up to it do a Google search on KIA brake lights but be prepared for literally pages of results some with identical symptoms to yours.

There is also a KIA recall for the brake light switch where the contacts carbonise. This could cause your problem if the tailgate lights are LED's which require very low operating current.

If not it seems the problem could be caused by one of the cars on board computers - depending upon vehicles age

Mursal";p="2788275 said:
I think they use a double filament bulb, one for side lights and one for stop lights?

The one fitted was a single filament.

Don't make the classic mistake of forcing the bulb in half a turn out.
I probably did as I don't understand!

Thanks, I will try your other advice

Sponsored Links
If you are feeling up to it do a Google search on KIA brake lights but be prepared for literally pages of results some with identical symptoms to yours

I did, on both counts. I was a little stunned that theis a Kia ENTHUSIASTS club :eek: :D

This could cause your problem if the tailgate lights are LED's which require very low operating current.N, they are not LED's

If not it seems the problem could be caused by one of the cars on board computers - depending upon vehicles age

I sincerely hope not!

The bulb that is listed for the car has two lights in the one bulb. A sidelight and a brake light, so if you take the bulb out you will see two terminals down in the bottom of the holder to line up with two solder dots on the bulb? Because the two lights are of different strength, 5W for the side and 21W for the stop, you can only put the bulb in in certain position. This is controlled by staggered pins on the bulb.
http://bit.ly/15yzpf0

But if you look in and only see one terminal, I'm mistaken and its a dedicated bulb for the stop lights.
http://bit.ly/18SiqZv

Hope I didn't over complicate the thing on you ................

The bulb that is listed for the car has two lights in the one bulb. A sidelight and a brake light, so if you take the bulb out you will see two terminals down in the bottom of the holder to line up with two solder dots on the bulb? Because the two lights are of different strength, 5W for the side and 21W for the stop, you can only put the bulb in in certain position. This is controlled by staggered pins on the bulb.
http://bit.ly/15yzpf0

But if you look in and only see one terminal, I'm mistaken and its a dedicated bulb for the stop lights.
http://bit.ly/18SiqZv

Hope I didn't over complicate the thing on you ................

Ahem :oops: I am an idiot. can't recall what I had done, but I had a single filament bulb kicking around and I had tried that, as there was defective rear light. So the single filament bulb, I think, was one I fitted :confused: After changing a fuse on the wiper washer pump, I had realised there was no brake lights, and forgot what I had already done (I think). I have no interest in cars, but I should be capable of a little task like this, considering what I do for a living! Anyway, I mentioned it to the MOT guy, he changed 2 bulbs, and it passed.

Thanks for your comments and help.

Back