Mazda 323f emissions high

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
This is a car i've mot'd for a few years it always struggles on the emissions test, this year the CO reading is 0.45 (should be 0.3) tester tried and tried to get it down but no luck
It is a 1998 with the !.5 engine so fairly basic by today's standards.
Its had new plugs new air filter, airflow meter (used one) and it had a new cat (non genuine) last year. I've tried fuel cleaners in the tank so running out of ideas.
Is there something i'm over looking.
Any suggestions much appreciated.

Sponsored Links
You have a rich mixture
Temperature sensor, though unlikely?
Dodgy O2 sensor. worth a clean
High fuel pressure in the rail, might be worth reducing it a bit with the adjusting screw, if you can find it on the regulator. Though it might be preset? Dripping injectors might also be a problem

Good Luck

I didn't get a copy of the readings (would have to go back to garage) although the CO was the only reading out of limits It even passed the natural idle test where the limit is 0.5
I was wondering about injectors, fuel consumption seems ok although it would not need alot of fuel to raise CO by such a small amount
Emissions have been a problem in the 3 yrs she has had the car, I'm wondering if something has been altered or changed prior to her owning the car

Sponsored Links
non genuine or non type approved cats are always a problem too, did you get the car nice and hot before the test?

non genuine or non type approved cats are always a problem too, did you get the car nice and hot before the test?

The car was very hot, good warm up before test and the tester warmed it up even more. I'm thinking it might be the non-gen cat and i'm looking into getting it changed under warranty
Hope a new cat and a different air flow meter will do the trick

I must say, I'm falling foul of after market cats too often these days - especially on French vehicles....but getting them stinking hot usually gets them through.
John :)

Back