One wiper stopped working

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
It seems to be trying to work but it won't move. Thankfully it is passenger side. I was able to remove a nut from the end of the wiper, but I couldn't get any further than that and it made no difference if i loosened or tightened it. Either way, the wiper is easily moved with my hands, where as the one that works is stiff and difficult to move by hand. Is there an easy way to fix this myself?

Sponsored Links
It sounds like part of your linkage has come adrift, you'll need to look under the bonnet to see it.
What type of car is it.

1997 Toyota Carina E Leanburn Sli. I opened the bonnet, but there is no easy way to get to the wiper motor. I can remove the nut at the end of the wiper, which makes no difference. The motor seems to work as it is moving very slightly, it's just that the wiper itself is moving very freely compared to the working one, which remains stiff.

I'm a wee bit confused by this.....if the wiper linkage is intact, i.e connected to the motor itself, it should be impossible to move by hand, either side.
The wiper arms are a taper fit onto the stubs that protrude from the bonnet (one nut) and the stub itself is secured by another larger nut under the arm - usually, anyway.
Maybe the spindle passing through the stub has become seized with road crap (usually thats a slow process though) and needs dismantling and regreasing.
More investigation needed, methinks!
John :)

Sponsored Links
Maybe I am explaining it badly? :D Basically, the wiper on that side stopped moving to clean the window. So I got out to take a look at it, and I turned the wipers on. I could see very slight movement at the bottom of the arm where it was attempting to move, which suggests that the motor is still good. However, the arm wouldn't move. So I tried to move it with my hand and it moved very easily manually. But it still wouldn't work once I stopped moving it myself.
To investgate, I clicked out the little plastic nut cover on the bottom of the wiper arm. There was a nut in behind that. The nut was tight. I tried loosening it and I removed the but, but I couldn't get the wiper arm out of it's position to take a look behind it. It was fairly tightly in place. So I tightened it all back up and nothing has changed. :(
I am not sure how to get to the fittings deeper into the car. Looks like I may have to remove a full car width grill under the bonnet? Seems like an awful lot of work for such a little problem?

Ah right, thats a bit clearer.
The nut you have undone simply connects the wiper arm to the drive stub....this is a splined taper and is often a swine to remove!
No matter, the problem is deeper than that. If you can move the wiper blade by hand, the linkage connecting the drive stub has come adrift or has broken. Often they are a plastic ball joint that allows the swivelling action, but when its worn it simply drops apart....ask any Fiat owner :p
I presume that the other wiper continues to work.....
The wiper motor mechanism is buried deep within the front scuttle below the screen, and typically they are a swine to work on - I've no particular experience with your car though!
I guess you are in for a long day, so I hope it goes well!
John :)

Not the right vehicle, but should give you a general idea of where you may need to look and what you may expect to find.
Note relative positions of working parts in wiper park position, wiper arms may be 'handed.' ie differ, from side to side, by length or in some other probably obvious way.

-0-

No sure ................

1. If one works and the other doesn't the linkage fell off between the two wipers, or .................

2. If the splines are slipping on the bottom of the wiper you will see the center shaft (that the nut screws onto) will be turning in time to the working wiper, or ............

3. If the whole thing stops and then restarts after a while, it could be seized and the motor cutout to protect the windings.

Hope this helps

Thanks guys. From what I'm reading here and from what I am seeing on the car itself, I would say it is the linkage. I'm going to take a look at that youtube link now to see if it helps. Thanks all.

empip, that video looks very helpful. Thank you very much. It also looks like an awful lot of hassle for such a silly problem. :( But it will have to be done. The wipers look the same, but obviously the car isn't. If I'm lucky I won't have to do as much as that person did. Hopefully I'll only need to work on one of the links?
Can anyone confirm whether I'll need that full bar or if I can just fit some sort of washer/unit onto the old one?

Local breaker get the lot and this will help you to know how it goes back. AS, hopefully they will let you see them take it out?

Ask fora wiper mechanism

Sponsored Links
Back