Orange Antifreeze

Reaction score
Country
Cook Islands
I have just bought a jag which has orange antifreeze that "must not be mixed with others" Looking at the Castrol website, it says "b. Cooling systems. Use Refer to main dealer at a concentration of 50% or one part Refer to main dealer with one part water. Models from 1999 (i.e VIN 042635 for XK8; 878389 for XJ8; S type all from first build and all subsequent models) use Refer to main dealer extended life coolant, coloured orange and MUST NOT BE MIXED with other coolants "

1) what's special about it?

2) must I buy it at the Jag dealer, or is the same spec available under a more common brand?

p.s.
I have heard (unconfirmed) that it is a Ford spec. Does that make sense?

Sponsored Links
Look up freezing point vs. antifreeze concentration. For cars with A/C they may recommend a 50% mixture.

I avoid dealers like the plague.

my point is not the freezing temperature, but the compatibility of the chemicals and any special features of the orange version.

longlife antifreeze is usually red.

AFAIK, which is not far, you shouldn't mix different antifreezes and the antifreeze has to be compatible with the engine cooling passages insides.
If you ignore these warnings, I guess you'll have reduced performance or have to replace your coolant more often.

After hours of Web research you may find a very few things that you can be certain of.
Try putting
pdf
and perhaps
edu
and perhaps
gov
in your search terms.

Also, you could buttonhole some chemistry instructor if you live near a school. I'd count his/her statements as very credible.

Car dealers do not want to be caught in a lie but the truth turns out to be pretty malleable.

Sponsored Links
it is highly relevant that Jaguar was for a while owned by Ford.

There was a Ford orange antifreeze which appears to have the same spec no as the Jag orange antifreeze.

Parts and accessories from Jag dealers are high priced and not widely available

Parts and accessories from Ford dealers are not highly priced but are widely available.

It is rumoured that the branded antifreezes are actually made by Prestone.

Its reckoned that its best not to mix OAT (Organic Acid Technology) with conventional glycol coolants.....reports have included the solutions becoming gelatinous and that corrosion inhibitors are compromised.
Personally I've never noticed the former and can't comment on the latter.
Stick with what the dealer recommends - and when its coolant change time, flush the system out and refill with 50% concentration red (five year) solution.
John :)

halfords sell the orange antifreeze too, to my knowledge its ok to top up with a similar product as long as its the oat stuff

Wikipedia has a good article on antifreeze. Apparently even the car makers are not sure in some cases what not to use for long, trouble-free operation.
The dye coloring is another issue.

Sponsored Links
Back