Peugeot 206 rear brake discs?

Right some feedback on my 2,0 li 206 convertible.

I thought the n/s caliper slides were stuck but discovered they were OK.

The discs were only 50% worn and seemed almost rusted into the caliper.

I needed to do a lot of scraping and use a hammer to remove the little angle wedge.

After cleaning and lubricating with silicon grease then I could put them back with my fingers!

However the operating action was still disappointing! OK it could hold it on a hill but would never lock the wheels!

On the n/s the outer face of the disc is quite scored but the inner is quite flat. The discs are little worn. Is that really likely to have such a effect of the efficiency. I cannot guess why the disc is scored. Perhaps from a previous worn pad?

I may be able to clean it up a little with my angle grinder. But I don't have an assembled lathe large enough to reface it.

Tony

Sponsored Links
The braking efficiency may improve as the new pads wear to the profile of the new disc.
Don't grind the disc face at all - only the edge is acceptable to remove any rust.......grinding the face will make the disc out of alignment and the brake pedal will bounce a bit.
Id like to see a pic of the wedge - it sounds like the Bendix brake system but I thought that was long gone.....Either way it sounds like a slider to permit the pads to move equally as they wear.
John :)

I very successfully use an angle grinder to remove scoring on front discs where I can turn them using the engine.

But this is the rear where I can only turn them by hand. But there is a possibility that I can bolt them onto the front hubs to turn them the same way.

The "wedge" is an angle piece about 7 mm x 4 mm on the outside which is located at the bottom of the two pads and holds them in place. As the pads move together the lower part slides on the wedge.

They were so badly rusted that I thought cleaning and lubricating would have greatly improved the braking.

It was disappointing that after totally freeing the pads at top and bottom and lubricating them on both sides, the handbrake braking effect was not very impressive, acceptable as a parking brake but not very effective at braking at speed if the footbrake had failed which is what the handbrake is expected to do.

I appreciate that the 205/45/16 tyres may have more grip than other types but on many cars the handbrake can easily lock the rear wheels.

Tony

Sponsored Links
Back