Peugeot Partner van

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
i have a peugeot partner van 1.9 non turbo diesel 2002 reg,i have recentley replaced the head with a recon one as the cambelt had snapped on old one,the car now starts with no problems,but is smoking really bad,throwing oil out of exhaust,reving its self up which then makes a horrible knocking sounds like from camshaft,when it starts this it will not turn of so you have to stall it,i now just dont not what else to look at there appears to be a pipe missing from under air flow(from manifold)is there anywhere i can find diagram of pipework?
thanks

Sponsored Links
Sounds as though its running on engine oil, this might be why the belt broke? Disconnect the sump breather pipe from the inlet manifold, re-pipe it to the outside. Dry off any oil from inside the inlet pipes and intercooler (radiator), the air supply to the engine. If its getting oil from the turbo, you need a replacement.
Did the pistons take any damage when the belt broke? Keep an eye on the engine oil level

I agree - at this stage it seems that the oil level is chaotically high.
If the dipstick isn't original, the engine takes just less than 5 litres of oil, including the filter.
The missing pipe could be the EGR system, but if you could post a pic it would help!
John :)

it is looking as if its pumping diesel into the oil would this be possible? i have removed all the pipes running from a filter it is no longer making the horrible noise but still smoking like a train oil level appears to be getting higher & thinner

Sponsored Links
On an older engine with a mechanical fuel pump bolted to the block, this would be entirely possible, but on yours, the fuel filter will be plastic, fixed to the block, and from there the fuel goes straight to the injection pump.
Does your engine have a fuel heater, down at the back of the engine, offside? Trace the fuel lines......this is the only possible suspect really but I thought that was done away with years ago.
The dilution isn't due to water, is it?

Trace the fuel pipes mate, and don't let the level get too high or the engine could well feed itself and blow.....
Out of ideas about this one!

on passenger side of cylinder head there is a bit that has servo pipe going into it but there was also a pipe running from a black box mounted near the battery into this as well but the black boss appear to have diesel running through it

Ok, the thing on the end of the cylinder head is a vacuum pump, driven by the camshaft, that provides vacuum suction to make the brake servo work. The pipe leading from it is for air.
I don't know about the other one at all, sorry!
Time for a bit of googling, perhaps!

I've actually found what you mean on my own van (2006 Berlingo 1.9) - a vertical black vessel, on the battery side?
I'm thoroughly ashamed to say that I haven't a clue what it is....it seems to be some sort of anti pollution device that uses the servo pump to draw an air sample from the intake manifold.
For sure, mine doesn't have diesel in it!

mines got a pipe running from the black vessel to the vacum pump it just dont seem correct to me the black vessel has 3 pipes coming of it one appears to come from filter lid where the hand primer is the other goes to a round black thing that also has wiring going to it the 3rd one is connected to the vacum pump,if i run the van with all these disconected the van doesnt do its horrible rattling sound.

Ok mate we are getting somewhere....the small black rubber pipes on yours have been mixed up.
The pipe from the fuel filter lid goes directly back to the fuel tank - it joins with another pipe over the injection pump. There's a Tee piece there.
From the vacuum pump, a slightly larger black pipes enters the black box at the bottom.
From the top of the black box, a pipe goes to the EGR valve (green cap) on the front of the inlet manifold.
See the round valve, behind the black box, two pipes? One short pipe goes to the black box, half way up.
The other pipe goes to the other EGR connection on the manifold.
That should sort you out!
The black box is simply that...a pressure stabilising vessel with nowt in it but air.

brilliant thanks for your help it is running alot better now still smoking mind but think that will clear,just one other question when i changed timing belt should i have changed the tensioner as well?

brilliant thanks for your help it is running alot better now still smoking mind but think that will clear,just one other question when i changed timing belt should i have changed the tensioner as well?

Yes, but if you like the horses and its your own fan, you might fancy taking a chance? But when you get everything else sorted, easy enough job?

Nice to hear you are worried about the tensioner, isn't it?

You might owe John a pint?

Sponsored Links
Back