Renault megane electrical problems HELP!!!!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I recently obtained a 1997 Renault Megane 1.4e (if any other info needed please ask), As i was driving it home i noticed that if i had my right indicators on and pressed the brake the indicators would either stop working completely or they would slow down and go intermitent, also one of the fog warning lights would come on too, if i pulled my foot off the brake the indicators would work fine.
If i was using the left indicator the same kind of thing would happen though when i braked they would ALWAYS stop working completely until i took my foot off the brake and also the fog light warning light didnt seem to come on like with the right side.

I did some reading and alot of people were saying that its a very common fault and is nearly always a bad earth and usually the ones at the rear with the rear bulbs and bulb holder board etc.... so i thought id give that repair a go.
Today i went out to the car had other things to look at so started the engine did a bit of tinkering and then thought id try and fix the lights whilst the engine was still running i undone the single black earth on the drivers side a few seconds after i got the wire off to check if it was corroded the engine cut off which i thought was because of something else so i returned to the drivers seat (earth wire still disconnected) and tried to start the engine again and it would just turn over but refused to kick in strange so just by chance i thought about connecting the earth wire by the lights again, Ignition completely off i went to connect the earth wire again only to be surprised with a small spark from it when i connected it again which i thought was strange coming from an earth but left it connected and went to try the engine again and it started first time no problem and there was no change with the lights.

I then turned the ignition off completely and thought id clean all the other wires etc... and see if that helped i was looking at the rear bulb holder circuit board and it looks like some of the wires have been purposefully snapped and bent round i was looking at boards for the 1999+ models on ebay (as cant find any for my year) and they look the same like some parts of it are not connected and only has one wire going across completely... this is the same on both boards i had been fiddling about seeing what connects to what etc... just trying to get the lights & indicators to work properly but nothing was working at one point when id done a few things i turned the ignition to 2 tried the indicators and pushed the brake i then heard CLICK CLICK CLICK CLICK dash lights went off and i knew id blown some fuses.

I then turned the ignition off put everything back to how it was before on the rear light bulb holder boards etc... went to halfords got some new fuses and replaced the only 3 fuses i could find that were blown i checked them all (interiror mini fuses under steering wheel) all the dashboard lights worked again headlights etc... so i went to start the engine and again it turned over but refused to kick in i thought it might of been the earth connection at the rear on the drivers side again so i took that off put it back on etc.. didnt get a spark this time tried the engine again but still the same refuses to kick in, i checked all of the fuses again none of them are blown. i do have an imobeliser light on the dash that flashed when i put the key in bit on the faint side turn the key to 2 and it stops flashing try starting the engine but still nothing refuses to kick in at all and i am now at a complete loss as to what to do.

I dont have buttons on my key for central locking etc... but both my keys do have the little chips inside them.

If you need any other information please ask away any help and advice would be greatly appreciated. thanks.

Sponsored Links
Hell what a nightmare....just check that there aren't any big capacity fuses very close to the battery positive terminal that could be blown.
I'd then completely disconnect that rear lamp cluster before trying to switch anything back on.
Would like to see a pic of those disturbed wires at the back if you can!

John :)

there are no fuses anywhere near the battery only other fuses/relays i could find were on the passenger side in a box behind the headlights about 3 relays and 2 fuses all of which look fine from the outside relay boxes are obviously hard to know for sure unless you take them apart. I Will post a picture of the bulb board in just a few minutes.

here are the pictures im sure you will be able to see where i mean the connections have been broken mainly in the zoomed in image but it certainly looks like they have been snapped as the metal is actually bent round and the strange thing is the boards for the newer models look the same with only one wire going across i have no idea if this is normal as im used to fords lol :)

[/img]

Sponsored Links
I think the bulb cluster is ok......if those parallel strips continued further they would all be connected together.
There's got to be more than 2 fuses so do a bit of google research to see where the main fuse box is? (Maybe below the dash, right hand side?)
John :)

yeah the fuses under the dash are all the mini ones they are the main lot i checked 3 had blown but i replaced them, it was after that my engine refused to kick in the second time round, the 2 fuses and 3 relay boxes i mentioned are the only ones i could find under the bonnet.

Back