Replace cracked suspension bush or not?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi there,

My front left bush is completely broken and needs replacing.

The right one however is only cracked?

I'd rather save the money if possible and replace only the broken one. According to the mechanic it could go tomorrow or in 5 years its impossible to tell.

Just wondered what people's thoughts were on this?

Baz

Sponsored Links
Hi Peter N,

It's a Golf Mark V, GT TDI.

Its the bush on the front right where the steering pin connects to the wheel.

To be honest I haven't noticed any problems when driving it but would hate for it to suddenly fail on a motorway or something like that!

Hi ch427 when you say just replace the worn one do you mean the rught hand one (which is just cracked) or the left hand one (which is broken and will have to be done now).

Sponsored Links
Are these the wishbone bushes under discussion here? The rear bush is a real weak spot on VAG cars.
John :)

To be honest I haven't noticed any problems when driving it but would hate for it to suddenly fail on a motorway or something like that!
Is it an MOT testable item? In which case it would need doing at some point.

And what would be the consequences if it did fail? If it could leave the car in an unsafe condition? If it did fail you could end up with a driving an unroad worthy car as well as have an insurance company trying to get out of a claim for that reason.

Personally if it was my vehicle and I knew it was defective I would replace it.

Personally if it was my vehicle and I knew it was defective I would replace it.
Agree 100% with this. Brakes, steering, suspension, tyres. Anything to do with safety. Change as soon as practical after there is a known fault.

Sounds like either a track rod end or suspension ball joint, can you clarify, does this part move with the steering?

I'm not sure, tbh, all I can say is that I never noticed anything wrong with the suspension or steering.

I actually brought the car in because of a different problem (the bearing has gone on the back wheel) but the bush problems were spotted by the mechanic when he was under the car.

I take the point about not taking any risks but I'm already looking at 270 for the bearing and broken bush will be more like 360 if I do the one that's only cracked and that really is something of a stretch so soon after christmas!

I'd really rather try and delay the repair if i can.

I take the point about not taking any risks but I'm already looking at 270 for the bearing and broken bush will be more like 360 if I do the one that's only cracked and that really is something of a stretch so soon after Christmas!

I'd really rather try and delay the repair if i can.
You asked for opinions but to give a definitive verdict when nobody on here is able to see the damage, let alone know with certainty which bush you are referring to is, in reality, an impossible task.

It was spotted by a mechanic, who could see its true condition, so what does he say?

Sorry for being unclear and I do appreciate your opinions.

The mechanic said that it was up to me, and that its best to change it.

However when pushed he did admit that if it were his own car he's prolly let it fail before replacing it.

All that was nagging me was would he have said that it I didn't push!

I'm guessing this is a rubber bush? If so, I can't think of any vehicles with suspension designs that lead to catastrophic loss of control if the rubber fails. Normally, there is enough metal surrounding it so that the actual suspension component can't "let go completely". It will just knock like mad and feel a bit vague.

If your mechanic is a decent chap, I'm sure he'll appreciate the financial situation. Maybe if you ask him to show you what you're looking for, you'll be able to check and monitor it yourself? In return, if he's reassured that the job will be his when the time does come, I think that's maybe the fairest solution all round?

Did as you suggested Avocet.

Car now back and driving as good as new :)

Thanks to everyone who contributed to this thread!

Sponsored Links
Back