Rover 45 TD sudden engine oil leak

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I've discovered an engine oil leak - its managed to drain the oil off the dipstick already.

Have found that the metal pipe that screw on the oil filter boss just above the oil filter has corroded hence drip drip.

Anyone got an idea where I can sourced a new pipe?

Sponsored Links
A breakers yard is probably your best bet - depending on how easy it is to detach the pipe at the other end!
John :)

Best to park it up until you get a pipe, might need to take the old one as the breaker might need to keep the engines complete.

Or a spot of brass, if you know someone that can braze, but if it fails the engine will not be worth fixing.

Thanks for the reply posts.

The pipe in question is one of two oil cooler pipes as I've now identified.

None to be had in the scrap yards sadly so I've bought new from Rimmer Bros. I've bought both pipes to be on the safe side cause until I get the engine cover removed, I don't know what the other pipe is like.

Just a pity I've also got to do an early oil change to replace the lost oil.

While I'm underneath, I have a slight leak on the power steering fluid so might as well see to that.

Sponsored Links
To anyone who's had to replace the oil cooler pipes on a 45 series diesel, I'd like to know if its simply a matter of unscrewing the old pipes and screwing on the new?

Job done.

I put fresh oil and filter in. Got 5L of Unipart Pro P 100 from the local Part Co branch which, I was told by the counter staff, is among the best quality oils and made by Fuchs of Germany.

My only hassle now is getting the ground off bolts out of the chassis underneath so I a fix the engine cover back on again.

I think they run better without the bottom cover ..............

Less hassle next time

I think they run better without the bottom cover .....

More aerodynamic ?

I prefer the cover on to impede the ingress of road dirt and water.

I forgot to mention above that I'm very impressed with the way the fanbelt is fitted, simple tension sprocket. Far better than having to loosen the alternator bracket like in the old days.

Sponsored Links
Back