Scudo Fan/Drive/Auxiliary, Etc Belt Tensioner - A Mystery!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Last time I changed a fan belt it was so easy. Just put the short, skinny belt on, put downwards pressure on the alternator, and tighten the bolt on the curved adjusting bracket.

As with most things, it now seems to be a lot more complicated. Can anyone tell me how to re-tension the belt on my 2004 Scudo 2.0jtd van? I assume just loosening the bolt in the middle of the tensioner will relieve the belt's tension to remove the old belt?

After fitting the new belt, how do I adjust the tensioner to get the right tenstion? Is it spring-loaded? How do I know/test if the belt's correctly tensioned?

Thanks for any help.

Photo-CLHAR3XA-D.jpg
Photo-A8AVKXBU-D.jpg

Sponsored Links
Looks to be a spring loaded tensioner. The metal body of the tensioner may have a lug or a place to insert a square key/allen key to rotate it, some can be unloaded using the pulley bolt but it depends on the design.
The belt will tension itself on fitting if it is spring loaded.

As you turn it anticlockwise insert a strong pin into the right hand hole in your diagram and as you turn anticlockwise the pin should slide into a mating hole in the back fixed part and hold the pulley from tensioning belt.

Sponsored Links
Great advice - thanks guys. Got it sorted.

The tip about the pin made it less of a struggle.

I'll get the hang of this new fangled stuff. ;)

Back