Stick on wing mirror

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

Have VW Golf and had to replace wing mirror as damaged. I just need to replace the mirror itself so bought one of those stick on ones. The original was smashed and had started to disintegrate but when unfortunately some of the old glass was difficult to remove and now a lot of the adhesive is left.

Is there some cleaner I can use to remove the residue of the adhesive before sticking the replacement on?

Many thanks

Sponsored Links
A little petrol on a cloth and a sharp knife or paint thinners.

Thanks

"Petrol"? Could be problematic.

Thought I might be able to get away with the stuff you use to remove residue from old sealant etc.

Try nail varnish remover that might work but keep of the plastic surround it might mark.

Sponsored Links
Try nail varnish remover that might work but keep off the plastic surround it might mark.

Just scrape off what you can, no known solvent will remove the double sided foam tape they use, have tried lots including petrol, paint solvents, nail polish remover etc. and called manufacture only to be told we don't know a way to remove apart from friction.
Make sure you have everything warm and clean, dust will prevent good adhesion and too much pressure will break your new mirror.

you might be able to loosen the adhesive using a hair drier and some fishing line.

When I stuck my mirror on, I used a few spots of araldite as well. I didn't want to just rely on the sticky-backed mirror.

Sponsored Links
Back