Stiff clutch pedal

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello all
Over the last six months my clutch pedal on my nissan almera 1997 has become stiff, any suggestions.

Thanks

Sponsored Links
If the clutch is on its way out, the pedal often loses much of its normal springy movement and becomes harder to press towards the bottom of its travel....this is due to the diaphragm spring in the clutch pressure plate starting to flatten out.
Does this sound familiar, and is the mileage high?
John :)

Thanks John

The millage is about 120000, but it had a new clutch about 60000 ago and a new cable last year. The clutch still has a spring in it just stiff and I have to push it to the floor to get reverse.

I really don't know if this car has a self adjusting clutch or not, but it could be worth disconnecting the cable at the gearbox end and then trying the pedal. If alls ok there, then its the clutch again or the operating mechanism within the gearbox bell housing that has some corrosion in it.
Thats the lever - if visible - that the cable connects to.

Sponsored Links
Thanks John for your reply I will give the lever by the gearbox a spray of wd40 to see if this will help

If the clutch operating arm is external on these (on top of the gearbox bell housing) it will pivot in a bush top and bottom.
Corrosion in this area was a major problem with earlier Citroen / Peugeot cars.

Back