Suzuki Grand Vitara Overheat Light Help please

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi there

I have just purchased a 2001 2.0TD Grand Vitara. Just started the car and the engine overheat light has come on, full and solid. I have turned the engine off, started it again and the light is off..

I have driven around on the motorway, temp gauge remains at about a third, no fan noise, interior heaters are working ok, no light on. Stop at the shops and park on a slight incline. When I start the car again, the light is on....

I almost thought it was the water level but that checks out, so my gut is suggesting a sensor is a-miss... What do you guys think? The light comes on even when the engine is cold.. hence me thinking it points to a sensor.

Any ideas?? Bit downhearted at the min, as everything else is perfect, I love the car, just this light is a bit of a downer...

Thanks in advance for your help

Duncan

Sponsored Links
Duncan, does this lamp have a picture of a catalytic converter behind it, by any chance?
Its a little unusual for a vehicle to have a temperature gauge and an overheat lamp.....one or the other, often enough.
John :)
Edit.....sorry I didn't see the TD in the description :oops: Guess I'm off beam here - later models had the sensor I think.
J.

I thought it was a cat warning light, but no, confirmed in the book its a temp overheat. As bizarre as this sounds, we have just got in the car, light is on from cold... we rocked the car and the light went off.

Checked the water level and its just off high... nothing near low.

Im baffled. Someones suggested "burp the coolant system".. but thats a new one on me..... There was me thinking a blast of wd40 on the sensor would cure it.... although i havent tried that... and wouldnt know where to find it at the min..lol

Regards
Duncan

Burping the cooling system is a curious term for removing any air that could be in there. Any air will collect at the highest points of the system, and there may be bleed valves at those points. Popular areas are the thermostat area, top of the radiator and the top heater hose.
It may be worth getting hold of a manual so you know where they are, but if any hoses etc are cold, that's where the air is.
Anyway, I think you have a sensor that is over sensitive and I wouldn't be too concerned about it - but I would keep an eye on the coolant level and temp gauge. If the coolant level falls, one of the first signs is the heater packing in.
One thing with the Suzuki - the radiator must be brim full when all is cold, and the hose in the expansion bottle must be below the level of the coolant in there.

Sponsored Links
Thankyou John..! I had an MR2 a while ago that had a coolant problem and it was a nightmare to sort, so this was just not good for me....

Is there just one temp sensor that the car will have or will there be a few throughout the system? If all else fails, when the light comes on I'll just get everyone to rock the car...

I shall get myself a manual asap I think

Thankyou so much for your responses!

Duncan

Others may know more, but usually there are two sensors looking at the coolant temperature.
One controls the gauge on the dash, and the other provides the engine ECU with information to govern the fuelling.....that's the score for petrol models anyway. For your own diesel, depending on the type there may only be one.
It could be worth having a chat with the service manager at your local Suz dealer, you know - the chances are they've seen this all before. My local dealer is very approachable if I have issues with my Jimny.

Brilliant, thanks John..!

I have scoured the internet and at the minute can not find a service/workshop manual anywhere for the 2.0TD engine. So frustrating.

I shall have a look and see if I can work it out a little later.

Thankyou again.

Duncan

Back