Transit connect windscreen wiper mechanism

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
They stopped working but they work if I physically move the passenger wiper blade. Any ideas as to what could be the problem before I tear it to pieces?

Sponsored Links
If you can work the wipers by hand, it would indicate that the linkage has come apart at the motor itself. Usually its a ball joint that has failed due to lack of lubrication.
John :)

Thanks John. Sorry what I mean is, with the wipers turned on, when I grab the passenger side wiper arm and move it up, they then work as it should. Is that what you meant?

Ah sorry,I miss understood that one!
I would say that the self park switch in the wiper motor is in the huff there, but I've not replaced a Transit one. What happens is, the motor remains live even when switched off at the stalk, until the self park limit switch within the motor senses that the blades have parked. A replacement motor is usually the way forward, but lets here what the others say!
John :)

Sponsored Links
Lets hope the others say its not a replacement motor. £130 + vat....

I'd check the wiper fuse that goes to the stalk switch. I think the stalk switch give the power to get the motor going, then it keeps going from an independent power supply regardless of the position of the stalk switch. So that it only parks at the bottom.

Will it start as it should in the fast speed?

1 Fuse
2 Stalk Switch (play with it) with ignition on
3 Bad dirty connections
4 Motor assembly

I thought it might be dodgy stalk but definitely its when I move the wiper it starts working as it should. Could it be something to do with its park position?

Will the wipers keep working until you switch them off, or do they just do one wipe and stop?

Because if they keep working, all you need is a piece of string to get them started?

Will the wipers keep working until you switch them off, or do they just do one wipe and stop?

Because if they keep working, all you need is a piece of string to get them started?

Will he need to provide this piece of string when the van is MOT'D....??

Sponsored Links
Back