valve clearances cam covers

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
hi guys

only done it once at college and need a quick recap on checking valve clearances with cam covers
I know how to do valve clearances with the adjustable nut on straight forward valves and as far as a ican recall the cam covers are thickness of the valve clearance
so is it a case of take out the cam covers check clearance then replace cam covers to the correct thicknes or do I simply use feeler gauge between cam cover and camshaft/rocker
as I say only dun it once so a little help would be appreciated
terry

Sponsored Links
Valve clearances are set between the heel (back) of the cam and the valve lifter.....which could be a rocker or follower. This is for OHC engines.
For OHV engines, the clearance is set between the rocker arm and the valve stem.
A feeler gauge is used in both systems, and adjustment can be by shim or stud and locknut.
John :)

For shims.

Be aware that if the shims are under the lobe then they will wear with each lobe pass. So check their thickness with a micrometer when removed instead of reading the stamped thickness from the shim itself.

so is it a case of take out the cam covers check clearance then replace cam covers to the correct thicknes or do I simply use feeler gauge between cam cover and camshaft/rocker
Feel first for thickness.

Take out old shim and measure.

Buy new shim to make up thickness to requirement.

Replace shim and feel again for compliance.

Sponsored Links
Discuss the tapered screw system used in the OHC Vauxhall Victor engine.....and watch him turn grey ( if he's old enough) :p
John :)

Back