Vauxhaul combo van cooling system problem

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hallo, need some advice about cooling system problem on Vauxhall Combo van. I bought this van recently. When I start the engine (deisal) there is pressure in the cooling system and eventually it hisses out of the valve on cooling system cap, the engine runs fine and sounds fine. There is no water in the oil system and there is no water coming out of the exaust.

I thought it must be the gasket but the engine runs fine, there is no smell of exaust comming from the cooling system. But the pressure is pretty strong. Is it possible a blockage could cause this problem.

The pressure starts more or less as soon as the engine is stated and I dont want to start on the gasket if there is possibly another reason.

Any advice appreciated.

Sponsored Links
Sounds like head gasket cooling system being pressurised by the cylinder compression.

Get a test done on the cooling system it checks for combustion gases present in the cooling system.

We have all come to the same conclusion, unfortunately...so either there is a head gasket problem or a small chance of porous cylinder head castings....which have occurred before (1980's Astras).
John :)

Sponsored Links
Thanks for the information guys. I kinda knew it was probably the gasket which is an expensive repair as it would require having the head skimmed. Think I might just sell it to someone who wants to do the repair.

Thanks for the information guys. I kinda knew it was probably the gasket which is an expensive repair as it would require having the head skimmed. Think I might just sell it to someone who wants to do the repair.

It maybe just the gasket that's failed and the head is fine.

Girlfriend badly overheated her diesel rover (L series) gasket had overheated and failed. head was checked and still flat, replaced with new gasket and is fine.

Had the same problem btw, coolant system pressurised but running fine.

Back