vivaro gear problems

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

Whilst setting off for work on monday morning my gear stick "flopped" up and down, although the van was still in 2nd gear. I dropped the van off at a local garage and they didnt even charge me, apparently a "ball and socket" joint had simply come off, however it keeps coming off so i obviously need to get it replaced, the garage said a lot of work is involved and will be a few hundred quid. I am paying an extended warranty as the van is 5 years old with 86000 miles, would i be elligible to claim on that? I have no idea on any parts or terminology so dont want to ring up and ask just yet.
All i can say is it looks a thick 2 pence piece with a hole in the middle that clicks/clips onto what i assume is the gear box. Any advice and help with terminology is greatly appreciated. thanks

Sponsored Links
If its part of the gear selector system external to the gearbox I can't see why it should be expensive - but then I don't know your car. I wouldn't expect the gear linkage to fail in 86,000 miles so I should try the guarantee.

Peter

Thanks Peter N. So its called the "gear linkage"? Hope youre right and the warranty pays up, its currently held on with a bit of tin foil and 2 big cable ties, been fine for 2 days now and lots of gear changes. :LOL:

Sponsored Links
Ha ha i know, i always keep a pack in the van now for every possible event. A mate had a look last night and said its just tubes/pipes on jubilee clips to take off and that will give you easy access to the gear linkages, he know a bit, but is no mechanic, so would that bring the cost down? Cheers again

It may of course use cables for the gear change but they will still have linkage on the ends.

Peter

Thankyou, i'll look into those, i wonder if i can just take off the socket at the end and do it myself? Hope so :confused:

Thankyou, i'll look into those, i wonder if i can just take off the socket at the end and do it myself? Hope so :confused:

it is DIY able, i had a jubilee clip on mine for ages :mrgreen: Had to do them eventually though.

Be gentle with the gear change until you get the bits. Dont want it falling off on a roundabout or in the rain in neutral.

Seduce it into gear, it's not a paddle shift (well I don't think it is)

Sponsored Links
Back