vivaro smoke engine wouldnt turn off

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
hey guys hope someone can help, i have a vivaro 1.9 van tonight it pulled away from an island very sluggish, i thought i heard a muffled bang, tried 2nd still very sluggish pulled into a laybby and smoke pouring from somewhere , not sure if it was exhaust or from somwhere else under the van, anyway the key would not turn the van off and i thought it was on fire, i had to stall it to get it to stop running, i have tried to start it but nothing happens when i turn the key. please help as i need this for my work
thanks
Bill

Sponsored Links
You will have to have a wee look and see where the smoke came from?

The oil level has it dropped off the dipstick?

Have you wipers/lights?

the aa guy reckons it might be the turbo, he says it has sucked all the oil from the engine and that was why the key wouldnt turn it off, the oil was burning keeping the engine going, what sort of repair are we looking at am i to assume we will need a new engine or what, thanks guys for the answers. incidentally we have just had a new gearbox fitted a few weeks ago bloody great
Bill

Sponsored Links
how much oil is left in the engine? you may be lucky if you turned it off in time, turbo change isnt a massive job but cleaning the oil out of the exhaust system etc might be!

I would go for a turbo problem too....occasionally diesel engines can consume their oil to such a degree that they can self destruct.
I can't see why the engine wont crank over though!
The engine is likely to be ok, so its homework time concerning a second hand / reconditioned / new turbo as against a replacement, complete engine.
I'm really sorry to hear about this.
John :)

I would go for a turbo problem too....occasionally diesel engines can consume their oil to such a degree that they can self destruct.
I can't see why the engine wont crank over though!
The engine is likely to be ok, so its homework time concerning a second hand / reconditioned / new turbo as against a replacement, complete engine.
I'm really sorry to hear about this.
John :)

well apparently the guy driving it did stall the engine quite quickly so maybe that has saved it, but i thought the reason it wouldnt start might be because there is no oil left in the engine and its seized, do you think that might be the case?
thanks again
Bill

Ah.. It wasn't you driving...

Slightly changes things, I think the man is dumbing things down.

I would guess it started revving its nuts off, with smoke pouring out of everywhere, couldn't turn it off, so stalled it.

Engines shot.

Have to agree with 4x4 . tho` the only time I`ve witnessed this was in the 70`s with a knackered old BMC diesel :eek: It couldn`t be stalled - the gearing was so low it just started slipping the clutch , so it was driven flat out @ 50 mph ( that was 10 mph up on it`s normal governed speed) and we took it to a country layby and let it blow up - the manual engine stop( fuel cut off) was definitely off , it was indeed burning it`s sump oil .Surprised and sorry to read it can still happen to a modern engine :cry:

Still happens, some of the modern engines have the diesel fuel return from the injectors in the rocker cover (no manufacturer mentioned). They crack mixing just the correct amount of diesel to the engine oil causing trouble. Many many jeeps are on their second engine in the first few months of warranty.
With an old engine we can always vent the sump to the atmosphere (though it will not pass MOT/NCT emission test), but on a new vehicle, its unacceptable.

just an update, it wa the turbo apparently a screw had worked loose and got into the turbo, got a recon one and all fitted for abot £500 so a lot less than we were orignally thinking, thanks for all the help
Bill

Sponsored Links
Back